Lost in the woods of my first decent set of headphones. Tried a few, but can't seem to find what I like!
Jul 6, 2016 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pillow

New Head-Fier
Hi there, 

For a few months now I've been researching and trying headphones for my first 'real' set. I owned a set of KNS6400 but I sold them because they sounded joyless to me: they really are studio headphones and not very suitable for home listening. 

I ordered the Sony MDR1A because they were cheap and reviews were relatively good, but I returned them a week later. The bass was extremely muddy and undefined, like walking through a swamp. I like my low end, but I like Paul McCartney's bass to go 'pom-pom-pom' instead of 'wohm - wohm - wohm'. Then I ordered the M50X because they seemed a decent entry point and something of a jack of all trades but I'm not really sure if these are for me either. They sound a bit, well, empty or something? The low and high end of the spectrum seem good but they sound a bit like you're standing in a bathroom. I think 'hollow' is the word i'm looking for. The bass is certainly more defined and 'rounded' than on the MDR1A but it seems lacking in the 'fullness' of the sound. 

Now I'm looking towards the Beyerdynamic DT770 (80ohms), but I'm getting a bit lost since I don't really know how to describe my preferences and act on them. It is impossible to go to a store and try some out since all stores only stock your standard stuff - ordering online is the only option. 

Do you guys have any advice? I like listening to alternative pop music - especially from the 60s. I'm not a bass-head by any means nor do I listen to a lot of electronic music. It's alternative pop/rock, some jazz and some classical music. I'd love it my headphones to be suitable for gaming as well, but that isn't really a necessity. They don't have to be very portable but it would be nice if I could wear them when I'm on a long flight or a few hours train drive. Isolation would be necessary - i'd like to use them at work. The budget is about €/$ 180 but I'm willing to go a bit higher if it makes a massive difference. 

Do you have any suggestions to help me out?

ps: I haven't really grasped the head-fi/ audiophile vocabulary yet so apologies if I used some vague words!

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Sorry, I forgot about that. Will also update my original post. 

Isolation would be necessary - i'd like to use them at work. The budget is about €/$ 180 but I'm willing to go a bit higher if it makes a massive difference. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 8
This link may be a good starting point for some reading: http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-31-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

You mentioned that you found the M50X to sound "hollow"; this is most likely due to the recession or dip they have in the mid-range frequencies where a lot of the body of music lies, especially with the genres you listed. The DT770 share this characteristic V-shaped response (boosted bass and highs; relatively recessed mid-range).

Just off the top of my head the best I can think of would be something like the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (over-ear); although you may have to do a little digging to find a good price for one (you shouldn't pay MSRP). I've owned them in the past and liked them a good deal although unfortunately never tested how they perform in transit, they should be fine at work. You can read up more on them in the link provided or use the search bar in the top right of the site.

Hope this helps.

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Thank you! I hadn't stumbled upon the thread you linked to - it's one of those threads that makes this place awe-inspiring. The amount of work, writing and critical listening some of you folks go to is fantastic. I'll look in to the Momentum although they seem a little above budget. Thanks for your help!

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 8
Sure, no problem. Try not to make the mistake of getting too hung-up on finding the perfect "do-it-all" headphone; it is likely you will have to make a compromise somewhere (portability, isolation, sound, gaming, price).

As for the Momentums, the lowest I have seen them go for new is $180 on Amazon when they were clearing out some stock of the Ivory model, otherwise you can keep an eye on the for sale forums if you don't mind buying used. This is a great price for a pair if interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/812554/fs-sennheiser-momentum-2-0-black

Let us know if you have any other questions

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 8
So I can only get the Momentums for around the MSRP here in Europe which is a bit too far above my budget.

Maybe I'll stick with the M50x. They seem to be a decent jack of all trades - option.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 8
So I can only get the Momentums for around the MSRP here in Europe which is a bit too far above my budget.

Maybe I'll stick with the M50x. They seem to be a decent jack of all trades - option.
You should save a bit more the Momentens are really good. The Meze 99 are just as good or even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back