Lost imod, need replacement...
Sep 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

laetulos

New Head-Fier
I can't tell you how bummed I was when my 256gb imod got lost. I was ready to dive into the dumpster, but it had already been taken out. So, now I need something to replace this. The deal is that I travel for the summer and want to take all my music with me in lossless (about 200gb). I could still replace it with an imod, but the process of ordering the 5.5G ipod, replacing the hard drive (last time I destroyed the logic board), sending it in, getting the AOL adapter, and installing rockbox sounds really unappealing and it seems like there should be a better option out there now.

So, what ideas do you have for a portable music system which would sounds as good (or better!) than the imod/hornet combo? By the way, I fortunately didn't lose the hornet. Is there anyway to make this work with one of the newish DAC/amp combos? None of them seem to have much storage as best I could tell, although it sounds like one (little dot?) can connect directly to an external hard drive? I want to keep this small, but would love whatever ideas you have.

Thanks!

Lee

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I think a p série vaio AND devilsound dac ll be a gréât way.
I use imod Or an asus eeepc plus devildac with a smala external hard drive .
Result from devilsound is near imod, even if i prefer imod sourd.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 6
ALO offers a 5.5 iMod with a 240 gig drive.

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 6
In my opinion the current options for a HQ rig are the following;

• HiFiMan HM-801
  • HiFiMan HM-602
  • Nationite s:flo2* / Telecast T51* (To an extent)
  • DIYiPod
  • iMod
  • WhipMOD

The last three options are all variables of a iPod modification. It really depends what you want, more storage or portability and better sound quality*.
As it stands not much about the SQ of the HM-602 is known, same as the WhipMOD.
However with the great deal on TWag cables with the WhipMod it seems more desirable over the current iMod or DIYMod. Keep in mind I didn't include the colourfly or littledot in the recommendations as little is known about them as it stands and they are far from being sold.

Here's some threads I suggest you read to help you make up your own decision.

1. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506188/all-new-whipmod-and-whiplod-the-next-audiophile-ipod-5-5-generation-modification
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500936/review-the-battle-of-the-daps-hifiman-vs-studio-1-vs-imod-vs-dacport
  3. http://www.headfonia.com/hm-801-t51-rwa-imod-ipod-classic-and-x1060/

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks to everyone for these really useful replies. I'm really considering the HM-801, I guess my big concern is storage space. Having to somehow fit my music on 7 SD cards seems really awkward and it sounds like it isn't the best solution to connect to a laptop via USB, which also is a much less portable solution. I also havn't really figured out where you get 24/96 audio files which seems to be a major advantage of the HM-801, but perhaps that is best saved for another thread. Thanks again! Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back