Lost ety's, need new iem. help
Nov 9, 2007 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MatsudaMan

aka JohannesBrahms, KittlesLittles, Bigglesworth.
So, I lost my ety er4p's and now looking to replace them. While I really liked them, I found them somewhat on the cold/analytical side. I loved how they retrieved detail from recordings, but I often wanted a little more richness ( ie mid-bass-lowbass). I've never really heard the competition, but since I'm in the market, I'm kind of curious again.

I love Classical. I'd say I listen to 90 percent Classical 10 percent everything else. I've heard ultimate ears don't have the kind of detail ety's have. What about Shure?

I kind of have a feeling people are going to tell me to just stick with the er4p. Definitely willing to listen to some opinions!
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I lost my ety er4p's and now looking to replace them. While I really liked them, I found them somewhat on the cold/analytical side. I loved how they retrieved detail from recordings, but I often wanted a little more richness ( ie mid-bass-lowbass). I've never really heard the competition, but since I'm in the market, I'm kind of curious again.

I love Classical. I'd say I listen to 90 percent Classical 10 percent everything else. I've heard ultimate ears don't have the kind of detail ety's have. What about Shure?

I kind of have a feeling people are going to tell me to just stick with the er4p. Definitely willing to listen to some opinions!
wink.gif

I like both the Atrio M5s and the Altec-Lansing IM616s (which have Ety drivers, and even can use Ety filters). In fact, I just got the 616s and I like them more than I thought I would. I also had the ER4Ps, and kept A/B testing them with the M5s, and found the latter had a better sound sig (to my ears), with much a warmer, less fatiguing delivery (but certainly not the 4P/S detail in the mids and highs). So now, after several misses (see my sig), I believe I have what I was searching for. I have never tried any Sure or UE phones, so I can't speak to them. But for $80, the 616s have a nice, bassier sound than the 4Ps, though others say the 716s are even better (not willing to spend more to find out).

I use foam tips, not flanges, with IEMs.

If you don't need isolation, then I also can recommend the Yuin PK1 w/amp combo. These are ear buds, but their sound is detailed, and great soundstage. But the NEED an amp to really shine.

Check out this review on the PK1s
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...12&postcount=3

Just read about any of these models on head-fi, for more info. THe Atrio thread is a monster, not so the 616s. Same with PK1 thread (tons of posts).

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of have a feeling people are going to tell me to just stick with the er4p.

Yeah I think that the general consensus is that they er-4s are the best phones for Classical. Neither Ultimate Ears or Shures will probably be as good for Classical (unless you go custom), though UE will probably be better than Shure. I know from personal experience that Shures are not comparable to the er-4s for Classical. All Shures have rolled off highs-I had the e500s and sold them to get the er-4s, which has far more detailed highs and better instrument seperation. The atrios and pk1 will have a warmer, less detailed sound. The im616 is basically a cheaper version of the er-4.

I think the er-4 is the best iem for Classical. I'm a big Classical afficionado as well and these are definetly my favorite iems. You might want to try the er-4s instead of the p. It will have more detail and can still be driven well from most portable devices (I use mine with my ipod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back