Lost all CDDB info going to .wav
Jan 1, 2005 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
I just changed all my apple lossless files to .wav in iTunes. Painless enough.

I then moved these .wav files into Foobar and lost all album/artist info. All I can access is the 'track title.wav' type of info.

Is there a way to preserve CDDB info going from lossless to .wav or FLAC? I haven't tried FLAC yet.

Jan 1, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't think wav's have tags so can't store that info.
confused.gif

FLAC has tags thou.

Jan 2, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 14
I believe FLAC got AIFF support early last year. So if you have a recent encoder you should be able to use AIFF (basically Apples WAV + tags). ALAC to AIFF will keep the tags. You better try it out first though.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Unfortunately wav does not have any tagging.

Actually, due to the structure of RIFF-WAVE files (commonly refered to as WAV, because of the file extention) WAV files can support tagging, it's just that there is no standard way of doing it and very few applications support tagging WAVs (Foobar2000 has some support for tagging WAV files, though I'm not sure if any other applications can use the tags it writes).

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Actually, due to the structure of RIFF-WAVE files (commonly refered to as WAV, because of the file extention) WAV files can support tagging, it's just that there is no standard way of doing it and very few applications support tagging WAVs (Foobar2000 has some support for tagging WAV files, though I'm not sure if any other applications can use the tags it writes).

Yup, well said. Foobar has an option for WAV tags, along with a firm worded warning that they will likely not work in any other application, and certainly not in hardware players.

May I ask why you decoded to WAV in the first place? You're not gaining any quality, and you lose functionality.

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Yup, well said. Foobar has an option for WAV tags, along with a firm worded warning that they will likely not work in any other application, and certainly not in hardware players.

May I ask why you decoded to WAV in the first place? You're not gaining any quality, and you lose functionality.

B/c Foobar won't play apple lossless, so I had to convert it to something foobar willl play. In itunes, I can convert the apple lossless files to .wav, so that's what I did and dragged wav files to foobar.

Now I need to figure out how to convert apple lossless to FLAC and drag them to foobar. I guess i will use dbPoweramp, but is there an easier way, such as using the FLAC program downloaded? FLAC is giving me a little window with some simple commands, but I'm not sure how to use this FLAC window to convert the apple lossless files to FLAC in iTunes since I have hundreds of songs in apple lossless.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 14
if dbPowerAmp can do straight-through ALAC-FLAC encoding, that'd be your best bet. Really what it's doing is decoding to WAV then encoding to FLAC, but it just saves you a manual step. The FLAC installer, as you mentioned, will work, but requires some more work.

At some point, I'm sure there will be an ALAC plugin for FB2K. Possibly not 100% legal, depdending on Apple's licensing laws, but hey...

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
dbpoweramp music converter should allow you to convert your files into a more open lossless format abd preserve your tags.

Cheers

Thomas

Uhh, just downloaded dbPoweramp music converter. Unfortunately, it does not recognize Apple Lossless!! It doesn't recognize apple lossless files exist at all, so I can't select them and convert them to FLAC. It does recognize other files, such as .wav.

Do you know for sure that dbPoweramp converts apple lossless (MPEG4)?

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 14
my copy of dbpoweramp does convert from apple lossless. i think you just need to get the right plugin.

but converting all my apple lossless to flac just to use foobar with tags - man, that's a big effort. i think i'll stick with itunes. btw i went home and the sound check thing WAS on, so i turned it off and it sounded pretty good until i had to yank the soundcard. i'm borrowing a modded 0404 for a bit - i'll install it today and post up impressions later.

Jan 6, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 14
For your particular application you are probably best served with the sveta portable audio tool also from dbpoweramp. This tool integrates with the dbpoweramp converter and lets you do the conversion on the fly.

I have not personally played with this tool but after installng the apple plugin and the plugin for your device you sould be ready to go.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back