Lossy Audio Codec's Comparison [HUGE amount of pics] [iTunes UPDATE on p.7]
Mar 25, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #121 of 225
I've uploaded them to my website, now making a big post with the pictures ... gonna take a while. (copy-paste 33 links in

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #124 of 225
[size=large]BIG UPDATE[/size]
[size=x-large]iTunes 7.1.1.5[/size]

Here is my latest update, all major encoder settings used in the newest iTunes. I've encoded the Main Wave several times with iTunes's AAC and MP3 encoder, with both CBR and VBR.

At first Glance the VBR versions of iTunes' AAC looks the same, this is not true, the files are marginally different. iTunes' encoder searches for 'low-bitrate spots' when in VBR-mode, this is makes the test sample very uneffective since the tone sweeps are all over the file, without silent gaps. iTunes give every second of the file the maximum bitrate, this is the reason why the filesizes, wich i posted a hour or so back, are very close.

[size=medium]Original Wave[/size]
WAVOriginal.jpg

You can get the file HERE.

[size=medium]iTunes AAC[/size]

iTAAC016.jpg

AAC at 16kbps, this is the lowest bitrate iTunes can encode, i did it just to make the comparison more complete as this bandwith is way to low to sound decently.

iTAAC032.jpg

AAC at 32kbps, this is quite usefull for speech only, but i would seriously consider HE-AAC or AAC+ instead

iTAAC064.jpg

AAC at 64kbps

iTAAC096.jpg

AAC at 96kbps, from this point music is actually listenable (IMHO) on speakers

iTAAC096VBR.jpg

AAC 96kbps VBR, as you can see, the difference between CBR and VBR is very minor

iTAAC128.jpg

AAC at 128kbps, a lot of improvement since my first post

iTAAC128VBR.jpg

AAC at 128kbps VBR

iTAAC160.jpg

AAC at 160kbps, not so much difference with the 128kbps sample

iTAAC160VBR.jpg

AAC at 160kbps VBR

iTAAC192.jpg

AAC at 192kbps, if they would bump up the low-pass filter it would sound alot better, it is acousticly indisguisable from the 160kbps version when i did a quick listening test.

iTAAC192VBR.jpg

AAC at 192kbps VBR, same as above, but it has a 'bitrate storage' for very dynamic music (like classical music), probably none shall hear the difference between this and the 224 CBR file.

iTAAC224.jpg

AAC at 224kbps, not woth the extra space, use the 192kbps VBR instead

iTAAC256.jpg

AAC at 256kbps, here the AAC file's lowpass is at his maximum, close listerers with very refined equipment can hear minor improvement over the sub 256kbps files, others should not bother and go for VBR 192kbps or VBR 256kbps instead.

iTAAC256VBR.jpg

AAC at 256kbps, the best AAC file encode-able with iTunes

iTAAC320.jpg

AAC at 320kbps, useless because of the 20k lowpass filter, nothing better then a VBR 256kbps file.

...picture limit.. MP3 coming up in a few minutes

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #125 of 225
[size=medium]iTunes MP3[/size]

iTMP3016.jpg

MP3 at 16kbps, looks quite pathatic
tongue.gif

iTMP3016VBR.jpg

MP3 at 16kbps VBR

iTMP3032.jpg

MP3 at 32kbps

iTMP3032VBR.jpg

MP3 at 32kbps VBR

iTMP3064.jpg

MP3 at 64kbps

iTMP3064VBR.jpg

MP3 at 64kbps VBR

iTMP3096.jpg

MP3 at 96kbps, this is the total opposite of iTunes AAC, where the 320kbps AAC files have a lowpass filter, on the 96kbps MP3 file its nowhere to be seen, strange guys there at Apple.

iTMP3096VBR.jpg

MP3 at 96kbps, showing that iTunes' MP3 VBR files use the same quality check as iTunes' AAC files

iTMP3128.jpg

MP3 at 128kbps

iTMP3128VBR.jpg

MP3 at 128kbps VBR

iTMP3160.jpg

MP3 at 160kbps

iTMP3160VBR.jpg

MP3 at 160kbps VBR

iTMP3192.jpg

MP3 at 192kbps

iTMP3192VBR.jpg

MP3 at 192kbps VBR

iTMP3256.jpg

MP3 at 256kbps

iTMP3256VBR.jpg

MP3 at 256kbps VBR

iTMP3320.jpg

MP3 at 320kbps

iTMP3320VBR.jpg

MP3 at 320kbps VBR, ahhh finally i see some difference between a CBR and a VBR file, still inferiour to any other codec at that bandwith though.

..so the conclusion for iTunes' MP3 encoder,
...it's [size=medium]BAD[/size].

..just kidding, for a MP3 encoder their low-medium encodings are okay, but BE WARNED above 160kbps its using totally different encoding algolrithmes, making especially the 192kbps version look awfull.

If you'd look at AAC's performance at lower bitrate's I dont see any reason for using iTunes' MP3 encoder. Anyways, the AAC encoder is quite nice at medium bitrates (160kbps-192kbps VBR), wich would be good enough for on-the-go for a lot of people.

Still, anyone with any requests, please ask, ill have a look at it. (now searching for MP3-Xing-encoder) Also, anybody who has a non-Sonicstage ATRAC encoder plz PM me or post a link in this thread.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #126 of 225
Whoops .. .. i made a mistake .. 192, 160 and 128 mp3 are switched :S.
Gonna fix it right away.

[EDIT] oh .. i didnt, iTunes uses makes a weird turn around 160kbps, switching form "an okay encoder" to "omg this sucks"...
Probably got something to do with a low-pass filter or EVIL APPLE PEOPLE (
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
) who dont want MP3 to be better then AAC at higher bitrates.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #127 of 225
hmm, 160 vbr for itunes mp3 is actually really great looking. looks better than almost everything else except for the nero 224 vbr or 320aac

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #130 of 225
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I've encoded around hundreds of songs with iTunes at 320 mp3 VBR!!! Does this mean I should re-encode all my music with another encoder? If so, what would you recommend (for mac)?

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #131 of 225
[size=xx-small].[/size]
Dude:

Nice work, I dig it!

Do I understand correctly then, that VBR is, generally speaking, a better way to go for [sound quality] - if file size is not an issue I care about. It sounds counter-intuitive to my mind however, as I would think that VBR would be subject to more data loss and 'compansion' artifacts (is that a word?), compared to plain old Constant Bit Rate.

Andrew D.
cdnav.com

[size=xx-small].[/size]

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #132 of 225
Thanks and great work!

Don't listen to those naysayers who don't understand what these graphs depict! It's funny that some people think that even though a codec's spectrograph depicts gaps and distortion, it can somehow sound better than a codec whose spectrograph more closely resembles the original WAV's spectrograph.

It's almost like saying that headphones that have flatter frequency responses with less distortion may reproduce music worse than a headphone with a FR graph that shows wild peaks just because the headphone with the wild FR may have its wild peaks in "inaudible areas."

Flat FR + No Distortion = WIN no matter how you put it, just like a spectrograph that more closely resembles the original after compression = WIN no matter what you think. An intact spectrograph reflects high efficiency encoding. You don't need a subjective listening test confusing people even more.

The only significant problems about these test that I can think of is how each codec handles special cases (like cymbals) and that you should cutoff the graphs at maybe 16-18K as to not give head-fier's the impression that data above 16K matters. Most headphones suffer from severe attenuation at high frequencies and most music has very little audible noises above 16K.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #133 of 225
how about WMP11 encoded mp3 file compare to iTunes encoded mp3 file?

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #134 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObiHuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't listen to those naysayers who don't understand what these graphs depict! It's funny that some people think that even though a codec's spectrograph depicts gaps and distortion, it can somehow sound better than a codec whose spectrograph more closely resembles the original WAV's spectrograph.

It's almost like saying that headphones that have flatter frequency responses with less distortion may reproduce music worse than a headphone with a FR graph that shows wild peaks just because the headphone with the wild FR may have its wild peaks in "inaudible areas."

Headphones do not intentionally discard inaudible data. Lossy codecs do. These graphs are nothing at all like a headphone's frequency response graph.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #135 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've encoded around hundreds of songs with iTunes at 320 mp3 VBR!!! Does this mean I should re-encode all my music with another encoder? If so, what would you recommend (for mac)?

Don't worry, your choice of encoder is propably fine. However, there have been some problems with the iTunes mp3-encoder in the past, but I don't know about the present situation. For mp3 lame is propably a better choice. iTunes AAc encoder is supposed to be very good.

I know this has been said numerous times before, but you really can't stress it enough. There is no point comparing lossy encoders using pictures. Encoders are meant for something you listen to, not something you look at. The very basic principle of encoding algorithms is to remove inaudible parts of the signal. But inaudible does not mean invisible.

If you decide to re-encode your songs, I would recommend program called Max, which is a very good ripping/encoding software for mac OS X.

(btw. Does someone know any good image->audio converters. I'm thinking about comparing some image compression algorithms using my headphones
evil_smiley.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back