Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey sir novax could you try this:-

AACplus, 32 Kbit/s, 44100Hz, Stereo
Length: 3.50
Size: 899KB

Some fruitcake here -
http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...d=29968#M29968
is trying to argue that its better than a lame encoded mp3!!

OMG do they really believe that a 32bit AACplus file will be better sounding than a LAME encoded file of 128+, it might sound better then a 96kbps one but thats just because LAME isnt that effective at low bitrates.

I have the file here, im gonna upload the picture of the spectogram within a few hours, (i kinda lost my Adobe Audition 1.5 key :S) same for the MP3 @ presets and itunes AAC.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #78 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by veracocha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the command line of blade encoder for EAC ?

I don't know, i use (an old version of) DBPowerAMP for my encodings. A nice and simple piece of software if you just want to encode a file and nothing more.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #80 of 225
Oh no!!! I've ran into some serious problems here, delaying me with posting my results. Since i found my Adobe Audition 1.5 Key (wich i use to make the spectrogram's) i downloaded the trial version, thinking i could unlock it with my key, being the same as the original CD.....how wrong could i be. And becasue i play with my calender times a lot, audition's trial has expired, making me unable to create the spectogram's.
I can try to install the trial at my work tomorrow and make the spectogram's there.

.... I sure dont hope my boss is a head-fier
blink.gif
blink.gif
, then im screwed
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #81 of 225
I don't know if it was requested already or not, but could you maybe rip that sample with a Xing MP3 codec, I would love to see the result.

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #82 of 225
Here are the pictures i promised to upload. ( except for the iTunes ones, those will come soon, still have to install iTunes
frown.gif
)

BTW. sorry for the big size, ill reduce their size (and compress them in JPG) when im back at home. (or i had to use MS-PAINT for resizing and jpg compression BRRRRR, not gonna do that)

[size=x-large]AAC+ 32kbps[/size]

AAC32kbpsParametricStereo.PNG

AAC Plus at 32kbps with Parametric Stereo

AAC32kbps.PNG

AAC Plus at 32kbps, without Parametric Stereo

[size=x-large]MP3 Lame -Presets[/size]

[WARNING : Due to the nature of my test sample and the variable bitrate of Lame these sample do not show Lame's full potential, the average bitrate is a lot lower than a real life music file.]

MP3Lame9.97-FastStandardCBR160kbps.PNG

MP3 Lame 3.97 --preset fast standard ( ~ 130kbps )

MP3Lame9.97-FastExtremeCBR192kbps.PNG

MP3 Lame 3.97 --preset fast extreme (~ 148kbps)

..As you can see the 32kbps AAC+ is quite nice for only 32kbps (except that its doing some crazy "copy-paste" thing at the high-tone sweeps in the beginning, compare it to the MP3's below it), still its inferiour to the 96kbp normal AAC. I can imagine that AAC+ will (or is) be very populair with low-bandwith Internet Radio Stations.

About the Lame Presets, they are better than my results with the CBR settings posted on the first page at higher bitrates, the bitrates are lower then in a real music file, however it still shows that VBR is better than CBR.

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #84 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it, lame preset fast extreme and fast standard are vbr presets and you have them listed as cbr???

And the bitrates he has listed are incorrect as well. As are the names of the presets. With LAME 3.97, the -V x settings have superseded the old "preset" settings. For example, preset fast standard is now -V 2 --vbr-new. That should yield a variable bitrate file with a target bitrate of 190kbps, not 160kbps. Preset fast extreme is now -V 0 --vbr-new, which should yield a VBR file with a target bitrate of 245kbps.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #86 of 225
Okay, this is very strange indeed, i've encoded the file with DBpowerAmp with the --preset fast standard and --preset fast extreme. When i looked with windows it said 160 and 192 kbps, making me think that the "fast" settings use CBR instead (wich is indeed a lot faster)...i'm gonna check this again.

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #88 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When i looked with windows it said 160 and 192 kbps, making me think that the "fast" settings use CBR instead (wich is indeed a lot faster)...i'm gonna check this again.

Windows does not correctly report the bitrate of VBR files.

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #90 of 225
Sorry guy, my apologies for trusting Windows.
blink.gif

I updated the post, putting the REAL average bitrate behind the encodings.

I noticed my test sound isnt complex enough for Lame, so their bitrates are lower then usual.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back