Lossless from CDs to iPod??
Mar 15, 2007 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RCM

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings-

Apologies for asking a question that may be answered somewhere else, but I've searched the forums and can't find the specifics.

I've got an iMod on the way, and I want to rip some CDs onto it with the best possible SQ, which I assume is ALAC.

I'll have the iMod, CDs, a HP computer with Windows XP, and no knowledge of how to do this.

How do I do it??

Thanks…RC

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Apple iTunes allow you to rip directly from CD into Apple Lossless files.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 8
1. Download Itunes from the Apple Web site and install.
2. Run the program. Open the preferences.
3. Find the "ripping" tab and select that. When the window opens you'll see a field with various ripping options. Select "Apple Lossless."

You can also choose a location on your computer to use for the Itunes library. This is something you should do before you start ripping. You'll need lots of disk space for the ALAC files.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Download Itunes from the Apple Web site and install.
2. Run the program. Open the preferences.
3. Find the "ripping" tab and select that. When the window opens you'll see a field with various ripping options. Select "Apple Lossless."

You can also choose a location on your computer to use for the Itunes library. This is something you should do before you start ripping. You'll need lots of disk space for the ALAC files.

Thanks my Lord.

Once you select "Apple Lossless" does it default to the correct bitrate, or do you need to set that as well? If yes, what does one set it to for the best SQ on the iMod?

RC

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you select "Apple Lossless" does it default to the correct bitrate, or do you need to set that as well? If yes, what does one set it to for the best SQ on the iMod?

RC

ALAC is variable bit rate. It will automatically use enough bits to capture each image. Also, you should check the error correction box (I think that's the name. I don't have access to iTunes right now.).

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be getting the iMod within a week or so and wanted to be prepared so I can start loading files and not have to figure it out later.

threEchelon-I used to work in Wayne when I lived in West Chester in the mid-late 80's.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be getting the iMod within a week or so and wanted to be prepared so I can start loading files and not have to figure it out later. Seems pretty easy based on your replies. This will be my first iPod so if I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about, it's because I don't.

threEchelon-I used to work in Wayne when I lived in West Chester in the mid-late 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back