Lossless formats supported on iPod/Zens?
Jun 7, 2006 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jesusfr3ak4evr

100+ Head-Fier
I have a lot of my music in .ape format, however I realize I probably can't use that on most portable music players. I know apple uses iTunes to encode in a lossless format, but what about Creative? I'm considering whether or not to get a 60GB iPod or a 60GB Creative Zen, but want to make sure my music is in a lossless format, and wonder how difficult it will be to put all of my music into that format. Thanks.

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 9
The only lossless format that Zen supports is .wav.

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 9
i'm a big fan of creative's players - i went from a zen touch to a zen sleek - but as noted they do not play lossless files other than .wav.

if you want to have the ultimate upgrade path in terms of portable hi fidelity then get a 4th generation ipod and go for the redwine imod. my 60gb is on its way and it'll soon be heading out to vinnie.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, if you decide to install Rockbox you can use a lot of lossless formats with the ipod. Other htan that the ipod doesn't support a whole lot. You're only option with the standard firmware is AAC

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Well, if you decide to install Rockbox you can use a lot of lossless formats with the ipod. Other htan that the ipod doesn't support a whole lot. You're only option with the standard firmware is AAC

You mean ALAC (Apple Lossless), I assume, since we're talking about Lossless.

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir

I installed RockBox about a week ago and I am pretty happy with how it works. I am not really sure how good the battery life is compared to the normal Apple firmware, but I do love playing FLAC on it. And I have access to a charger often enough that it's not a big deal. Anyhow, it is a viable option. Not quite as user friendly as the Apple firmware, and you have to install it via command line, but it is cool in a gadgety kind of way.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlierchair
I installed RockBox about a week ago and I am pretty happy with how it works. I am not really sure how good the battery life is compared to the normal Apple firmware, but I do love playing FLAC on it. And I have access to a charger often enough that it's not a big deal.

can you give an estimate on how long a single charge lasts? i'll be doing the redwine imod and installing rockbox to play my flac files and i'm curious as what to expect for playing time off of a charge.

Jun 8, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 9
ok so from what I can see it's possible to play ALAC and FLAC on an iPod. Are those the only lossless formats (besides .wav of course, but that's too large) for iPod? I don't want to purchase a Creative player if it only supports .wav; lossless is very important to me.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusfr3ak4evr
ok so from what I can see it's possible to play ALAC and FLAC on an iPod. Are those the only lossless formats (besides .wav of course, but that's too large) for iPod? I don't want to purchase a Creative player if it only supports .wav; lossless is very important to me.

If lossless is very important to you than a player supporting Rockbox is crutial. I'm currently-re ripping music after installing rockbox on my mini. SQ is supposed to be incredible, but at ~300mb/album space is tight on the 4gb hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back