Lossless Downloads?
Mar 18, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, can anyone help me get my head around this site?

http://www.musicgiants.com

It doesn't work on my mac (doesn't seem to support Safari).

Is it a lossless download site? What format?

Thanks.

ZT

Why don't you install internet explorer on your Mac and that should work fine

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by toanaldino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you install internet explorer on your Mac and that should work fine

No such thing. MS stopped offering a Mac version of IE years ago. The last version for Mac, I believe, was IE 5.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No such thing. MS stopped offering a Mac version of IE years ago. The last version for Mac, I believe, was IE 5.

This is true; however, it can still be downloaded at sites such as here. I'm not sure whether or not it works (as I'm running Windows at the moment) but it's worth a try.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 21
Could always install XP under parallels.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 21
Yeah, iTunes could convert from WMA lossless to ALAC lossless, but only under Windows. There may be something else out there. Maybe Max?

The OmniWeb browser allows you to change your reporting browser. I just tried changing it to IE7 Windows and it worked with the site. Same with the free Opera browser.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 21
Aren't these files DRM protected? Can iTunes convert those?

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 21
Yes, DRM: "2. What type Music Files and Digital Rights Management Software does MusicGiants Use?
The MusicGiants music that you download to your computer is in Window Media Audio (WMA) Lossless format. Lossless downloads reproduce music at up to 1100 kbps versus the 128 to 192 kbps of other download services. We use Microsoft Windows Media Digital Rights Management software to make sure all the music you purchase is safe and protected. For more information about Microsoft DRM"

Also, check their Big Brother privacy policy: "If you have registered with us, we collect information about what music files you possess on the PC you use to sign up with our service and any other PC's networked to that PC. We also collect information regarding where you obtained that music. "

Hmmm....

For an example of how you can do lossless downloads without playing Big Brother, see the Linn Records download store. Really, it is possible :)

jan

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmourik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, check their Big Brother privacy policy: "If you have registered with us, we collect information about what music files you possess on the PC you use to sign up with our service and any other PC's networked to that PC. We also collect information regarding where you obtained that music. "

Hmmm....

For an example of how you can do lossless downloads without playing Big Brother, see the Linn Records download store. Really, it is possible :)

jan

The reason I would never use MusicGiants (and iTunes store) is DRM. Why would I pay the kind of money they want to simply rent the songs, never owning it.

But that stuff about gathering info from all my PC's is just plain ridiculous, a final nail on their coffin IMO. I forsee MusicGiants going under in near future.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmourik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, DRM: Big Brother privacy policy: "If you have registered with us, we collect information about what music files you possess on the PC you use to sign up with our service and any other PC's networked to that PC. We also collect information regarding where you obtained that music jan

Well, thanks everyone for clearing that up. I'm not going to install IM just to check the .05% of sites that don't support Mac. Interesting development regarding lossless though, especially as unamed Russian site has been shut down by Visa / Mastercard. I'm sure there are quite a few of us here that would like to be able to download higher bitrate files legally.

If only their files could be played on an iPod. I'd be happy with High bitrate Mp3's or AAC's (320 or 224). Sigh.

ZT

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that stuff about gathering info from all my PC's is just plain ridiculous, a final nail on their coffin IMO. I forsee MusicGiants going under in near future.

I hope they take a good look at Linn Records. I would love to be able to download some of my favorite albums in high res or "Studio Master". But not with drm. It needs to work with my Squeezebox too...

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AllofMP3 has a lot of material available for download in .WAV or various lossless formats.

Yes, but difficult to purchase if you can't pay for it, (see link below) and it's a shady op too. I'd rather buy a song where I get high bitrate files AND the artist at least gets some money.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/maney/2006...astercard.html

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 21
The artist getting money is a joke. The artist gets money from exposure, because you'll see them on tour. Concert ticket and promo gigs are far more valuable than album sales, unless yo negotiate your own distribution contract. Both of my cd's on itunes have been about $200 of trouble, and about $65 of profit. I make less than 2 cents a song. Please, just steal my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back