Lossless downloads @ Deutsche Grammophon
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

2deadeyes

1000+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this has been posted already but DG recently launched a new web front with albums available for download in losslss format. This should be very convenient for classical lovers out there. They also have a free 7-day stream trial for those not too familiar with some of the music (pay 99 cents to try and will credit back regardless of your decision to purchase).

Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 28
and on rapidshare, you have tons of lossless deutsche grammophon downloads

music downloading is not the solution, it's part of the problem

popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, it isn't part of the problem. Staying on topic appears to be part of the problem. A lack of intellectually honest discourse may seem to be another part of the problem.

Legal downloads are but an option, and while I don't buy them very often, I like having a choice. Particularly now that sites such as High Definition Tape Transfers and HD Tracks are offerling lossless 24/96 content. The pickings may be somewhat thin, but if these businesses are successful then I expect to see the selections improve.

--Jerome

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and on rapidshare, you have tons of lossless deutsche grammophon downloads

popcorn.gif

yeah, isn't 99.99999999% of every file hosted on Rapidshare infringing someone's copyright?

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, isn't 99.99999999% of every file hosted on Rapidshare infringing someone's copyright?

of course it does... it's piracy

PS I buy original discs

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it isn't part of the problem. Staying on topic appears to be part of the problem. A lack of intellectually honest discourse may seem to be another part of the problem.

Legal downloads are but an option, and while I don't buy them very often, I like having a choice. Particularly now that sites such as High Definition Tape Transfers and HD Tracks are offerling lossless 24/96 content. The pickings may be somewhat thin, but if these business are successful then I expect to see the selections improve.

--Jerome

I'm staying on topic, torrents and rapidshare have lossless downloads of deutsche grammophon, but deutsche grammophon itself sells only lossy mp3s

edit: sorry I've just check the deutsche grammophon website, they also have FLAC files for sale, Gilency's post was a bit misleading
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 28
No, you're not staying on topic. You are rudely hijacking the OPs thread, and his link to Deutsche Grammophon makes it clear he wanted to talk about about legal downloads from that label and not piracy.

--Jerome

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

No, you're not staying on topic. You are rudely hijacking the OPs thread, and his link to Deutsche Grammophon makes it clear he wanted to talk about about legal downloads from that label and not piracy.

--Jerome

rudely hijacking thread?

I was just making a comment about DG releasing mp3s not lossless, as it later turned out DG actually sells also lossless files (see my above post)

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Legal downloads are but an option, and while I don't buy them very often, I like having a choice. Particularly now that sites such as High Definition Tape Transfers and HD Tracks are offerling lossless 24/96 content. The pickings may be somewhat thin, but if these business are successful then I expect to see the selections improve.

--Jerome

There is a good varied selection to start. As Jerome indicates, if the flac downloads are successful, the selection will improve. DG has a large back catalog, some of which is already available as download only. One more step toward having all music ever recorded almost instantly available.

The $.99 for a week is also an interesting model. Almost like renting. 13 plays would be required to break even. I would often like to listen to a different interpretation of a symphony, but not enough to justify buying the CD.

I wonder if the DG back catalog would be candidate for higher resolution than redbook CD versions. Anybody know about their original masters?

BACH Violin Concertos Mutter - Catalogue - Deutsche Grammophon Classical Music Shop for Downloads, CDs & DVDs

Footnote: I do expect to pay for the music I listen to. I wish the artists got a larger percentage, of course.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 28
While it's definitely a step in the right direction to find DG offering flac downloads, when they charge 12.99 for an album you can purchase at amazon for half the price, it becomes a step backwards!

Downloads should be offered at prices competitive in the market, especially in a recession.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it's definitely a step in the right direction to find DG offering flac downloads, when they charge 12.99 for an album you can purchase at amazon for half the price, it becomes a step backwards!

Downloads should be offered at prices competitive in the market, especially in a recession.

I agree, 12,99 Euro for low resolution file (album) is a bit to high, especially if we are talking about files not physical discs, a record label doesn't need all the CD/SACD pressing machines, the process of producing FLAC consumes smaller amounts of energy than CD/SACD manufacturing etc but the files cost as much as SACDs? MDT - Please enable your cookies something ain't right with their pricing

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 28
As an aside on the d/l of high res music.. Linn (of Sondek fame) do it. It was actually cheaper at one point to buy the physical SACD because the cost of hosting or bandwidth or whatever was so high that the download cost about a quid more.

Although given they are Linn (of Sondek fame) I can't see why they don't do stuff on vinyl..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back