Loss of Audio Quality
Mar 20, 2008 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ezzieyguywuf

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a pretty large (about 18 gb) collection of mostly ogg files. Over the past 5 years, I have had to transfer the whole collection many times for many different reasons from my comp to my dap. I am just wondering if transferring my audio library many many many times via usb would have any effect on the quality of the audio. Is there ANY data loss via usb 2.0? I mean, it is ridiculously fast how long that transfer takes place, and I find it hard to believe that every single byte of data gets transferred over.

I have done a little (about 5min) googling over this subject and can't seem to find an answer, so any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 9
Your files are digital and the transferring doesn't affect the information in your file. See the properties window... the new files be exactly the same size as the older ones...

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 9
They should all be 100% intact.
Cause modern operating systems have file integrity check (or what its called) on copy/paste, and so does USB.

You don't mention which codec the files are encoded with though. But if its FLAC, then you should be able to verify them on your own.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 9
@ krmathis: I think i mentioned that they were all mostly ogg. You guys have pretty much put my mind to rest, but I think what I will do is rip a new version of one of my older songs (that has been transferred back and forth an lot) and do some sort of side-by-side comparision (I think EAC has something like this).

i'll post the results here in case anyone else is curious

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ krmathis: I think i mentioned that they were all mostly ogg.

Yes, but Ogg is just a file container. Like MP4, WAVE, AVI, MKV, ...
The Ogg container can hold both lossless (FLAC) and lossy (Vorbis, Speex) encoded audio.

If its Ogg FLAC it should be quite easy to verify if the content are 100% intact.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 9
in that case they are wav files compressed to ogg.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 9
I think krmathis is looking for the term 'ogg vorbis'
tongue.gif

Anyway, there is NO loss of quality in moving files across USB.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 9
cool. thanks for the ease of mind guys :-D is there any way to verify ogg 'vorbis' :-D files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back