Losing Right Channel? Help?
Feb 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I've been noticing lately that when I have my AD700's plugged into my amp, using the 1/4" adapter that came with the headphones, I will sometimes lose the right channel completely, and have to spin the plug in the jack / tug on it a little bit to get the sound to come back..

This worries me, of course, and I'm having a hard time diagnosing what the issue is.. The cable is pretty heavily shielded and everything, and I'm not sure it would have even been possible for me to snap the wire or rip it or anything, although there have been a few times where I've had my foot on the cord and stood up or something and it gave a big pull to the headphones..

Here's the question though: I have a tube amp, and I recently accidentally hit one of the tubes, the right-side one, and it bent the connectors on the bottom a tiny bit and I had to take it out and put it back in, and when I put it back in it's been making this strange crunching noise, as if the glass was shattered and I was stepping on it, but there's no broken glass or anything?

Anyways, it's a really weird problem, and I was wondering if by any chance losing some connection on one of the tubes would cause the right channel of the headphones to cut out?

Thanks a lot! Let me know if there's any more information I can give.. I'm scared that it's somehow ruining the quality of the headphones =(

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 4
The answer to your question is yes. It does not take much to damage a tube so it will do what you are decribing. I am not saying that is the problem but the tube could be doing what you are saying without you seeing physcial damange to the tube. When ever you bend those pins it can crack the glass or pull a wire or something in the tube you can not even see with your naked eye. That is why they have tube testers because there can be damage that can not be seen with the eye.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 4
Alright - Thanks a lot for the reply

I'll get another tube for them to try out and see if that fixes it.. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 4
You should try your 'phones with a different source. If you experience the same symptom then you know it is the headphone. Ideally try it with the same 1/4" adapter then try without. Before you start replacing things, make sure where the problem lies first. Your tube amp may be perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back