Los Lonely Boys
Apr 24, 2004 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lindy

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody heard this CD? It's a group of three brothers out of Austin, TX -- supposedly Willie Nelson's "favorite local band". The date on the back cover says 2003, but the first I heard them was at a listening station in a CD store.

f97263dwslv.jpg

Great stuff! It sounds like a cross between Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Los Lobos. The guitar solos are scorching, and the multi-part vocal harmonies are dead on. This one's going to be in my CD player for a while.

(I apologize in advance if there is already a thread about this band -- "search" doesn't seem to be available today)

Edit -- On some of their songs they also sound a lot like the Allman Brothers.

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 15
I just ordered this album yesterday. My wife heard them on Latenight and said the guitar work reminded her of SRV (who, she knows, I really dig). I liked the samples I heard on Amazon so I ordered it in a combo deal with Me and Mr. Johnson.

Apr 25, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 15
They are a great band; I've had the cd for quite some time now. The guitarist is truly amazing, very skilled. They are also from my hometown!
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 15
My copy came today and I really like it. The guitar work is very, very nice. I hear more Carlos than Stevie Ray but that ain't necessarily a bad thing! The organ work sounded really familiar and when I read the liner notes I realized why...it's Reese Wynans, SRV's keyboard guy.

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 15
they've been getting non-stop raves from the local press... which made me skeptical about them... seeing their great free show during South by Southwest blew me away.

it was totally unexpected.. scorching guitars and the vocals are spot on.. i was expected some music with a huge latin twist
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 15
The boys put on a show at the Lilac Festival in Rochester, NY, a couple of nights ago. Great concert -- and free to boot. They aren't too well known up here, but I'd still guess that ~2000 people showed up (packed the outdoor theater pretty tightly). Henry smokes on the guitar.

They did almost all of the songs on their latest CD.

The highlights:
  • Onda -- a Santana-like soaring jam, great for the soul
  • The encore -- don't even know the name of it, but there was lots of jamming and showmanship
  • Superstition (cover of Stevie Wonder tune)
Better keep an eye on this band. I think they're going to be big. I'm sure that's the last time we'll ever get to see them for free up here.

They'll be opening for the Allman Brothers on their tour later this year.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 15
Bringing this one back from the abyss to report that I finally picked up this cd this week and am enjoying it immensely! Can't recommend it enough! "Onda" and "Velvet Sky" are real standouts for me. If/when these cats come to my neck of the woods, I *will* be there.

Cheers!
Dan

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 15
I agree with everything already said. I was visiting Portland last week & noticed that they will be doing a concert at the zoo ther in a couple of weeks. I was wising it was while I was visiting there!

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 15
if you happen to be watching TV, you might come across them in CMT, singing More Than Love with Ronnie Milsap (live!).....omg i mean i dont like CMT that much....but if that kinda music is there, almost wants me to regularly watch it)

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 15
Definitely an extremely talented family that have obviously been grooving together for a very long time. That album is great fun (except for 2 songs which just bore me).

They have already found a fair amount of commercial success. Haven't you seen them in the iPod commercial jamming away? They have a great show that you can catch on the Live in Austin series. They also have 2 live albums, one which is a tribute to SRV. They are fantastic live. I'm looking forward to how they have matured on their next recording.

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 15
since my previous post, i saw them again at the Willie Nelson 4th July picnic in Ft Worth, Texas.

Again, they BLEW ME AWAY. Their album is really boring to listen to, but live, they get to jam liberally on longggg tracks and Henry(?) absolutely wails on the guitar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back