Los Lonely Boys & Willie Nelson Live = One Fantastic Show!
Oct 21, 2007 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

swt61

Dr. Wood
I had tickets for Willie Nelson last night. My Mother is a big Willie fan, so I got her a ticket too.

The show started at 7:00 with a group I'd never heard of called Stoney Larue & the Arsenals. They were southern rock, and a good group of musicians. They had a good sound with lots of fiddle, and some catchy tunes. They played until about 8:30.

Then after a short break Los Lonely Boys came out. I was familiar with their hit "How Far Is Heaven", but didn't know much about them. They are a group of three Brothers, a drummer, a bass guitar and a lead guitar. It took me all of about 30 seconds to be thoroughly impressed with these young men. Talk about some talented musicians! It was easy to hear their musical influences immediately, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Carlos Santana. I read later that those were indeed two of their biggest influences, but their Dad (a little known musician that played with his Brothers) Enrique Garza was very instrumental in their career.

When I tell you that these guys can play, I mean that Dad must have given these boys their instruments on their third Birthdays! They flat out jammed!
Toward the end of their set they said they wanted to bring out a friend that they've been playing with since childhood. They introduced Luke Nelson, and I assumed it must be Willie's son. It was, and he looked to be about early 20's to me. Now Willie can play guitar, there's no doubt about that, but his son blew me away! He jammed with Los Lonely boys for a few songs, then the boys introduced their Fathers...Enrique and Willie came out and did a number called "Outlaws" which I thought was very fitting. As it turns out it's a song they all recorded together, on Los lonely Boys' "Sacred" album.

10:00, Next up Willie and crew. His son Luke being one of two lead guitars. Willie hasn't lost a thing in his 74 years. His voice was as steady and true as always, and when Willie and Luke ripped into SRV's "Texas Flood" it was an awe inspiring sight. Willie can flat out pick that old acoustic, and I'm sure I saw flames from Luke's fingers.

Toward what we thought was the end of the show (about 11:00) Stoney, and Los Lonely Boys came out to jam with Willie & co. They stayed out there until the show finally ended at 12:15.

I've seen a lot of concerts in my 46 years, but there's no doubt that this was my favorite. I was expecting a fun show, but I had no idea what I was going to get to witness. To say I'm now a big Los Lonely Boys fan would be an understatement, and I've got to see if Luke has cut his own album yet. Just a fantastic show. If they come to a town near you don't miss it!

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Oct 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Sweet deal, swt61.

I saw Los Lonely Boys a few years ago when they were first taking off and you're right, it was one of the funnest, highest energy concerts I've ever been to. Henry is, IMO, the best guitar player to hit the scene in the past 10 years. On top of all that, I met them backstage and they were the most down-to-Earth musicians I've ever encountered.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Congrats on a great night!

Willie does get onstage with a lot of great musicians. I love when he's touring with Lucinda Williams ;p

If you like Los Lonely Boys, then check out DeSol . I bought their debut album DeSol over a year ago after hearing the song Karma on a local radio (progressive) station and they absolutely rock! They have a new CD out but I haven't heard it yet, but it's on my 'to get' list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back