Looks like the new Sony NW-HD1 player does support mp3...
Jul 29, 2004 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know if it can be used as an harddrive so that it'll allow drag and drop operations? I think it'll probably have to go through the supplied Sony software... but maybe not. It's even more expensive than the ipod!!! But I guess apple simply just took away the cradle and stuff and made the 20gb ipod cheaper...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...oductSKU=NWHD1

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 16
It supports MP3. i.e. it transcodes MP3 to ATRAC in Sonicstage, the client software. To transcode a 256K MP3 album to 256K ATRAC takes over 5 minutes on average PC hardware. That's before the time it takes for transfer, which will (like the iPod, only with the iPod there's no transcoding required) of course be minimal.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 16
I wonder if cassette decks will start advertising "support" for MP3s?
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
It supports MP3. i.e. it transcodes MP3 to ATRAC in Sonicstage, the client software. To transcode a 256K MP3 album to 256K ATRAC takes over 5 minutes on average PC hardware. That's before the time it takes for transfer, which will (like the iPod, only with the iPod there's no transcoding required) of course be minimal.

Is this with "Music Move", or Sonicstage?

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 16
Music Move ships with the VGF-AP1. The NW-HD1 ships with Sonicstage 2.1.

It takes somewhere around 5 mins for an album to transcode using P4 2Ghz-class machine (i.e. also includes Centrino 1Ghz+ and similarly clocked Athlons) using SS2.0 or 2.1.

That means approx 2.6 hours (I think?) to transfer 20Gb of MP3's to your player (although you do only have to transcode once per track).

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
Yea my mind is still completely boggled over sony's idiocy. I'd hate to see someone buy it and find that out.
blink.gif

Idiocy indeed, but I think that the battery life and the size more than make up for it. I may take the hit and buy one, but only when the price goes down. Or I might just wait for the Karma 2 and see what that has to offer. In any case I have to get rid of my crappy samsung player.

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 16
Would this be a good buy for someone who owns tons of MD's?
confused.gif

I have a cuz who has everything Sony (even Sony stock
eek.gif
) and he is really excited to get this. This product actually blows my mind...the looks and features wise seem outstanding...well except for the part of the ATRAC conversion...
Anyways, I'd love to be him for a day or two when he does buy this to see how it performs. Some of you must have a little itch to test this product out??? If you do, put lots of pics and a nice review too if you don't mind.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by raynman
Would this be a good buy for someone who owns tons of MD's?
confused.gif

I have a cuz who has everything Sony (even Sony stock
eek.gif
) and he is really excited to get this. This product actually blows my mind...the looks and features wise seem outstanding...well except for the part of the ATRAC conversion...
Anyways, I'd love to be him for a day or two when he does buy this to see how it performs. Some of you must have a little itch to test this product out??? If you do, put lots of pics and a nice review too if you don't mind.
eggosmile.gif

I'd be willing but I want to wait till the price goes down because it surely will, once Sony realizes that they aren't selling as much as they thought they would.

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 16
I guess it's because the price in Japan is similar to the US price. Audiocubes' stuff is always more expensive than if you went to Japan. Therefore, same price + audiocubes markup = more expensive than US.

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 16
"Up to 30 hours continuous playback with built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (fully charged) when playing in ATRAC3plus™ @ 48kbps. Actual battery life may vary based on usage pattern"

AT 48kbps that's horrible sound quality it'll probably get around 20 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back