Looks like Ipod will be available soon as 30GB & 60GB only.
Aug 4, 2004 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

penbat

500+ Head-Fier
See:

Toshiba drives

The 30GB will be the same size as the existing 20GB and 60GB the same size as the existing 40GB. The Toshiba 30GB and 60GB will be made widely available in Q4. So I anticipate that by Jan 2005 the Ipod will be only available in 30GB and 60GB versions probably the same prices as the current 20GB and 40GB versions.

As the 30GB and 60GB versions are also more energy efficient than the 20GB and 40GB, it should also give better battery life than the current 4G line up.

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna
Why just the Ipod? Why not all the other DAPs?

Quite possibly but maybe Toshiba have an exclusive contract with Apple. I think the Karma, for example, uses Hitachi drives and they haven't even got anything bigger than a 20GB version yet.

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Excellent. Progress continues as usual.

I like this sentence a lot, it has a certain positive wisdom, being happy with how things usually works...I think I go to bed now.
580smile.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
As the 30GB and 60GB versions are also more energy efficient than the 20GB and 40GB, it should also give better battery life than the current 4G line up.

On the register.co.uk they mention that they are going to also be bringing out a 40gb with the lower power useage so i wouldn't wave goodbye to the 40gb ipods just yet.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Quite possibly but maybe Toshiba have an exclusive contract with Apple. I think the Karma, for example, uses Hitachi drives and they haven't even got anything bigger than a 20GB version yet.

I don't think they have an exclusive contract with toshiba as such, they have simply bought up all the initial batch of these larger drives.

Aug 5, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Hmm. The article doesn't say that Toshiba is discontinuing the current 20 and 40 gig drives. Until I hear something from Apple I am going to assume that the ipods will continue to ship in 20 and 40 gig versions, with Apple pocketing the benefit of any price reduction.

Aug 5, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

the same drive thats in the ipod is in the H100 line

and most likely alot more daps then just those 2

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pov
Hmm. The article doesn't say that Toshiba is discontinuing the current 20 and 40 gig drives. Until I hear something from Apple I am going to assume that the ipods will continue to ship in 20 and 40 gig versions, with Apple pocketing the benefit of any price reduction.

I suspect your scenario will be the case until about Jan 2005 when only 30GB and 60Gb will become available. It seems too complicated to have more than two models on the market at the same time, especially when the 30GB is the same physical size as the 20GB and the 60GB the same physical size as the 40GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back