Looks like I'm going to Stanford.
Feb 22, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's primarily a publicity stunt anyway, since it's tough to get into Stanford without a family that makes well over $100,000/yr.

Why do you say that? When I attended Stanford, I knew plenty of fellow students whose family made less than $100K.

"Stanford University will announce today that it will no longer charge tuition to students whose families earn less than $100,000 a year.

In addition, the university will waive room and board fees for students whose families earn less than $60,000 a year."

This is amazing; I just wish things were that way when I went there
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanford drops tuition for some students

This is so awesome. Pleeeeeaaaase MIT follow suit!

Hasn't MIT already done so? And Harvard and Yale are seriously thinking about it as well?

I think MIT, out of the $36k/year for undergrad offers up $31k or so and asks that the student/family provide the remaining $5k or so either through direct cash a part-time job or education loan. Pretty good stuff!

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think MIT, out of the $36k/year for undergrad offers up $31k or so and asks that the student/family provide the remaining $5k or so either through direct cash a part-time job or education loan. Pretty good stuff!

Yeah, but if I'm reading it right Stanford isn't even requiring the family contribution or the loan.
biggrin.gif
But no, I'd take MIT if they offered.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 29
You are reading it right, so far Stanford is saying free as in beer
wink.gif
MIT though has an unwritten policy of letting exceptional students get through completely free. I believe Yale is pushing this in a big way and Harvard was in the news recently regarding going this way. Harvard being the richest school, and their alumni wanting their contributions going to the next gens of students, not to fund this that or the other thing.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 29
Seriously - Northwestern needs to do this too..... My family pulls in about 225k ( - travel costs to california onc a month) a year so I am not eligible and am paying through the nose. If I didn't start so early with scholarships so early I would be royally screwed. Ahh...universities fail to recognize that there are 5 children and two of which are currently in college!

No seriously, my best friends come from middle - low income families and are paying at least 25k a year out of pocket. I know for a fact that none of them have families making over 100K a year and have crazy loans.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 29
Damn Stanfurd! First they beat us in football, then in basketball, and now in tuition and room & board!
mad.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 29
And here everyone complains about the ~€1600 it costs per year. Of which you get ~€1080 back each year through a monthly grant from the government.

Great initiative though!

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously - Northwestern needs to do this too..... My family pulls in about 225k ( - travel costs to california onc a month) a year so I am not eligible and am paying through the nose. If I didn't start so early with scholarships so early I would be royally screwed. Ahh...universities fail to recognize that there are 5 children and two of which are currently in college!

No seriously, my best friends come from middle - low income families and are paying at least 25k a year out of pocket. I know for a fact that none of them have families making over 100K a year and have crazy loans.

I agree it's a joke. My father has a very large salary, but with me in college, my sister in next year, and my other sister in a year after that, he's going to be paying 120k a year just for us. He never got a degree, and he is in the process of going back and finishing so that's another 30k a year on top of that. My mother wants to get a masters and teach theology, so there's yet another 30k. Five people in college can eat up close to 200k a year if you don't get any financial aid, which we don't.

It's BS that we are not eligible for financial aid - education costs can absolutely eat up a salary - even one that is very high (along with the fact that you only get 60% of your pay after taxes in this ridiculous bracket)!

And housing costs...

I live in a very bad area, and need to be near the practice rooms next year, so my only choice is an on campus apartment. Even through splitting the cost with a roommate, I will be paying $950 a month for 12 months (even though I only live there half a year!) just for my apartment next year. What a total ripoff.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 29
are they doing the same thing for their other colleges? like engineering/law/medical/business (you know the really important schools and in no particular order of importance ...
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 29
In reading the examples they provide they don't list one that has a student going for "free". It does sound like they made it very affordable though, which is cool.

I see the acceptance standards going up even more in the next few years, which is good. If they are going to let you go cheap you need to prove that you deserve it.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 29
People college in the US is an investment... it sucks that it is the case but it is. I was a professor and I can assure you it's not like we make a fortune.

The fact is that if you get a college degree you earn a lot more than if you don't get one and can afford to pay back the loans pretty quickly. It's like buying a house it's something that cost a hell of a lot up front but usually pays off in the end.

It'd be nice if it was free but people here (USA) don't want to pay the taxes that that entails so we're stuck where we are.

It's awesome that these tier-1 schools are doing this but the fact is that most people don't go to them and this kind of stuff is just a stunt/marketing scheme to keep the best going there (regardless of family income). Of course if you are one of those lucky students take them for all they've got
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back