Jun 15, 2007 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wafflesomd

500+ Head-Fier
Scored a nice stash of free records the other day
smily_headphones1.gif

P5070234.jpg

One problem...

I don't have a player...

Got any reccomendations. I'm not looking to spend too much.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 6
All it took was THAT collection to make you want to try vinyl?!

I usually recommend an old Technics SL-D2 (in primo condition) with a new Grado Black cartridge. You'll be able to keep it under 100 bucks, and the table will last you a very long time. It's the best TT for the money, IMO. However, when buying used/old TT's there are lots of scores. You might stumble upon something really nice for really cheap. A new cartridge would be a good idea. Grado Blacks run about 40 bucks new. But if you're in a hurry and don't want to wait for a deal to pop up, find a nice SL-D2 on eBay. With that table an upgrade wouldn't be necessary until you've decided to make vinyl your main medium.

Oh yeah, check Craigslist first. Most people don't know how to ship a TT. If you do buy one off of eBay, make sure the seller knows how to pack. If they don't, send them this link. http://www.theturntablefactory.com/packing.html

Good luck!

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 6
It looks like you have a receiver there. Does it have a turntable preamp? You'll definitely need one somewhere in the audio chain.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 6
What kind of music do you listen to? Vinyls are called LP's. So instead of walking into a record store and saying, "What kind of new vinyls do you have?" You could say, "What kind of new LP's do you have?"

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 6
That is an interesting collection of vinyl.

The older Technics turntables are reliable and would be a good entry point. I would get a manual or semi automatic which are simply built and less likely to need service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back