Looks like AMD is getting into DSP: AMD TrueAudio
Sep 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 5
It's basically programmable shaders for audio. Audio middleware like Wwise and Fmod can use this to perform their calculations. From what I understand its a dedicated bit of hardware.

Astoundsound is a virtual 3d plugin for Wwise and Fmod that uses something akin to HRTF to downsample to a lower number of channels. Apparently it also works in reverse (creating a multichannel signal form a mono source by using positional data)

The stream can be found here. The True Audio bit starts at around the 40 minute mark. The stream is in mono so the demos don't work.
First you have the general announcement, then an Astoundsound presentation. Then Wwise, then Eidos with the game Thief and after that Xaviant with the game Lichdom.

I get the feeling the writer of the article didn't really get what was being shown.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 5
  It's basically programmable shaders for audio. Audio middleware like Wwise and Fmod can use this to perform their calculations. From what I understand its a dedicated bit of hardware.

Astoundsound is a virtual 3d plugin for Wwise and Fmod that uses something akin to HRTF to downsample to a lower number of channels. Apparently it also works in reverse (creating a multichannel signal form a mono source by using positional data)

The stream can be found here. The True Audio bit starts at around the 40 minute mark. The stream is in mono so the demos don't work.
First you have the general announcement, then an Astoundsound presentation. Then Wwise, then Eidos with the game Thief and after that Xaviant with the game Lichdom.

I get the feeling the writer of the article didn't really get what was being shown.

Ah, well that clears some things up, thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back