Looking to upgrade
Dec 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dkf1031

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, and I was just looking for some advice on what to buy. I've had the Sennheiser HD428s for about a year and I'm looking to upgrade. I predominately listen to rock, but my music tastes are fairly varied and include a little of everything. I want to spend about $150-$200, and from what I've seen, it looks like the V-Moda M80s or a Grado set are what I'm looking for. I'm just a little hesitant to buy either because I have no way of trying before buying. So what is your advice? Are the V-Modas a good choice for me? Which Grado model would you recommend? Any other cans you'd recommend? Thanks so much!

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, and I was just looking for some advice on what to buy. I've had the Sennheiser HD428s for about a year and I'm looking to upgrade. I predominately listen to rock, but my music tastes are fairly varied and include a little of everything. I want to spend about $150-$200, and from what I've seen, it looks like the V-Moda M80s or a Grado set are what I'm looking for. I'm just a little hesitant to buy either because I have no way of trying before buying. So what is your advice? Are the V-Modas a good choice for me? Which Grado model would you recommend? Any other cans you'd recommend? Thanks so much!

I purchased the senn's myself a while back, didn't like them at all, they sounded too vailed to me. A friend turned me on to his grado sr80's, I never heard anything like them before, needless to say I ran out and purchased them the next day, they are truely an amazing headphone price/performance wise, and they are only 100$ U.S. Buy them from a store with a good return policy, if your not into their sound return them. Good luck! + they are great for your genre's.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 10
That's exactly why I'm looking to upgrade. I feel like my Sennheisers don't really have much "punch". Sorry, I'm sure there's a better audiophile way to describe that haha. Thanks your advice! I definitely like the price on the sr80's. Have you listened to the 125's or 225's? I'm just wondering if there's a big difference. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
That's exactly why I'm looking to upgrade. I feel like my Sennheisers don't really have much "punch". Sorry, I'm sure there's a better audiophile way to describe that haha. Thanks your advice! I definitely like the price on the sr80's. Have you listened to the 125's or 225's? I'm just wondering if there's a big difference. 

I can not comment on the 125's or 225's because I never heard either, but the 80 is a fast,upfront,crystal clear headphone with a very nice punch for bass when it is called for, but it is not bass heavy it is just so right and tight, a very fun and exciting headphone, you will definitly rediscover your music again guaranteed!!! When I purchased the 80 I asked the dealer if I should buy the 125 for 50$ dollars more and he said there's really no reason and to my listening he was correct in respect of not being dissapointed what so ever, you will not miss a note with these headphone's. Mind you the voice coil on the 125 is copper wound, so it is upgraded from the 80 in that respect. I also upgraded since the 80 to an alessandro/grado MS2i 300$ and it is a totally different sound signature and is by all mean's a beutiful headphone, but I am definitly going to purchase an 80 again because I really enjoyed the intense excitement I found in this model. Try not to knock yourself out deciding...the 80 for 100$ is awesome, dont know if for the extra money for the 125 it will be a dramatic difference at all!!! But reading alot of posts people really like the 225 200$ but it is more laid back in sound signature.  Like I said I miss the sound of the 80 there is something so real and alive with this headphone. Good listening!!! 

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

i have the HD558 & MS1i and i fully understand how you feel, the senns are too tame for rock and doesn't punch you like the Allesandros (which is a subbranch of grados) and the pricing of the SR80i,SR60i and MS1i is excellent, but when it gets higher then the difference doesnt really justify it's price difference (it applies too all heaphones too, maybe just a little more severe on the grados)
Quote:
I can not comment on the 125's or 225's because I never heard either, but the 80 is a fast,upfront,crystal clear headphone with a very nice punch for bass when it is called for, but it is not bass heavy it is just so right and tight, a very fun and exciting headphone, you will definitly rediscover your music again guaranteed!!! When I purchased the 80 I asked the dealer if I should buy the 125 for 50$ dollars more and he said there's really no reason and to my listening he was correct in respect of not being dissapointed what so ever, you will not miss a note with these headphone's. Mind you the voice coil on the 125 is copper wound, so it is upgraded from the 80 in that respect. I also upgraded since the 80 to an alessandro/grado MS2i 300$ and it is a totally different sound signature and is by all mean's a beutiful headphone, but I am definitly going to purchase an 80 again because I really enjoyed the intense excitement I found in this model. Try not to knock yourself out deciding...the 80 for 100$ is awesome, dont know if for the extra money for the 125 it will be a dramatic difference at all!!! But reading alot of posts people really like the 225 200$ but it is more laid back in sound signature.  Like I said I miss the sound of the 80 there is something so real and alive with this headphone. Good listening!!! 

i'd second the SR80i, unless you have a lot of money to spare to upgrade, get the SR80i first :p

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 10
One more question for you guys... I just got my SR80i's today, and they sound great out of the box. I can only imagine what they'll sound like once they've been burned in. However, the box included a message recommending I break them in with normal usage, rather than letting them play overnight. Does it make a difference? If you think I should use pink noise, where can I find such an audio file? Thanks, and sorry if these are newbie-type questions. I am a newbie, after all. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 10
I broke both, 80's,ms2's in by letting them play continuesly for 1 week aproximatly 8 hours a day on different radio stations and at low to mid volume and had no trouble at all. I know the letter from grado says, under normal usage but whos to say what that is? My thought was the headphones dont know if im wearing them or not. As far as the pink noise I cant direct you. By all means Im not telling you to do what I did, Im just letting you know what I did. Congradulations on the headphones, glad you went with the grado's they are awesome, the music sounds so real and raw. Enjoy.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 10
some people's 'normal' volume can burst your ear
rolleyes.gif
 so i'm sure your driver would do fine from any regular source (if you ear doesn't burst, your drivers are definitely safe)

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 10
I beileve grado wants you to break them in by listening to them while they are on your head, and not to let them play while they are not on your head, wich is what they mean by normal listening, but the headphones dont if your listening or not. Unless maybe there so good they do? Haha. Good listening, and always listen at a low to moderate volume, it sounds better that way in my opinion anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back