Looking to upgrade to a more musical DAC
Aug 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sensui123

500+ Head-Fier
I've been researching around since I've been generally unsatisfied with the combination of the HD800 and my dac/amp setup (Gungnir, Mjolnir).....it just becomes too fatiguing too quick.  That setup has been a blast to listen to though with my HE-6 and the LCD-3.  Lately I'm finding time to sit down to listen more and have decided it's time to upgrade the solid state setup.  I am heading toward the GS-X for the amp upgrade and am now looking between the 3 DACs from reviews that are deemed more musical without veiling the details....I'm mainly looking at the Metreum Octave, NAD m51, and the Perfect Wave MK2.  I thought I was set from everything I read on the Perfect Wave until I read the thread carefully and saw all the hoopla about the Mk2 firmwares sounding significantly different and also that a MK2 sounds inferior a MK2 upgraded from a MK1.....I've been a NAD fan for awhile since one of my theater setups is a mixture of NAD and PSB and I know their equipment is always very musical. 

It's a good problem to have, but I was wondering if I could get more feedback from guys who's perhaps heard them all or 2/3 and give me some pointers for the decision.  I appreciate the time and help in advance.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 9
Hmmmm, another seemingly excellent excellent choice.  I'm guessing the best price around is from 6moon?  From all the reviews it sounds like the exact kind of sound I'm looking for.  I read through quite a bit of the thread and it sounds very interesting indeed.  Guess I have 4 choices to choose from then heh.....cost seems to keep going up....

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Look into the Eximus DP1.

+1 I am also waiting for GS-X and just gotten the Eximus dp1 after reading BournePerfect's view and I thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Just using the Eximus dp1 headphone output together with Ifi usb power and the Gemini cable from mac mini, the sound of my hd800 has actually reached the level of musicality and weight of my previous main rig of Audio-gd master 7>master 8> lcd2.2. with increased clarity due to hd800. I can understand now what people meant by the 3D sound of Eximus dp1, the layers and layers of voices and sound of various instruments were portrayed so vividly at their various positions and the music is so engaging. With the pitch dark background of both dp1 and hd800, sometimes sounds just appear out of nowhere. I can't imagine how much the sound will improve on the arrival of GS-X :)

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 9
I guess there's another device on the list.....that iusb usb power conditioner/gemini usb cable. Funny how no one has commented on the other 3 choices I listed and have wholeheartedly recommended the DP1 instead heh.  Guess it's a sign.  Have to start contacting distributors I guess to see pricing.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Glad to see you're finding the magic, Froger! I'm sure the GSX will take it to another level yet! Sensui-FWIW I've also heard quite a few good reports about the M51/HD800 combo. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

-Daniel

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Mytek 192 
biggrin.gif

has DSD which is nice as well.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah by now I'm just teetering between the Metrum Hex and the Eximus DP-1, seem like 2 very very capable/musical amps that will fit me just fine.  More leaning toward the hex now these days from all the research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back