Looking To Upgrade Portable Amp from Total Airhead
Feb 12, 2008 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wharfrat1

100+ Head-Fier
I am still very new to the headphone scene, roughly 4 months. My ears and head have been loving every minute of it, my wife and wallet not so much.
I have been using the total airhead as my portable, but after spending far too much time reading here, I am looking to upgrade.

I listen to mainly rock, with a good bit of jazz, and some classical thrown in.
The amp will mainly be paired with my SE530's/80gbIpod for business trips and bedtime listening. I use 320 AAC and Apple lossless files(depends on the recording) I travel quite a bit for work. On longer, personal trips, I will also be packing my SR 325i's.

My main criteria in order of importance:
1. SQ- Obviously as a rock fan, I needs me some good tight, deep powerful bass, but I also like transparent highs and silky mids(need to have it all).
2. Portability-it's mainly for travel, so I don't want the thing to be a suitcase, it would be a good thing if I could mate it to my Ipod like the total airhead.

The rest is wide open, I really don't need a DAC since I don't use my work laptop for music and I've got my Headroom DAC at home. I can deal with a plastic case/not great looks etc. if the sound is there. Really, I'm just looking to take the next big step up soundwise. I've been reading around and the Voyager and RSA amps all sound worth investigating. I've got up to $400 to spend, and I don't mind spending it all if the upgrade in sound is worth it. I wanted to ask some more experienced ears, based on my usage, what a good fit would be.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 15
I've been knocking around here for a few days reading threads and asking similar questions (though I'm looking for a DAC with mine). Lots of stuff out there, but the flavor dujour is, no doubt, the Pico. What's lacking in your Total Airhead? The small shop boutique box seems to be the preferred thing in these parts, but the Total Airhead is a pretty nice portable, I suspect. In any case, whatever you decide, let us know how it compares.

Tim

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 15
Really, after reading all of the reviews of all of the portables, I'm curious to see if the extra money most of these amps cost is worth it. If there is an appreciable upgrade in sound, I will gladly spend the extra money. That is why I wanted to get some feedback from people who have specifically used the airhead and now have switched to another portable. Plus, since I've started down this path, I just can't seem to stop spending money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 15
You noted what you were looking for in a new "toy" - However to make a better recommendation, are there things about the AirHead that you don't like??? and is there something you want carried over into you're new unit??? For example - is the AirHead's "CrossFeed" feature something you like??? If so, this would limit your choices as it is NOT available in most units.

Other important features (or NOT!) could be:

-gain switch

-size
-rechargeable batteries
-operate off of external power
-etc

You told us - Portable, No DAC necessary & $400 max.

Without other info, at this point I would say look at the PICO (sans DAC) @ $300, but you'd have to wait. But you could go with something different for now, and consider the PICO as a "gift" down the line :wink:

see-http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/he.../index131.html

In the mean time look at the MANY Headphone Amps reviews on this site, I would say start with the massive "32" review

see-http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/review-portable-amp-roundup-32-portable-amps-reviewed-compared-214588-post2585634/#poststop

Enjoy,

a.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, after reading all of the reviews of all of the portables, I'm curious to see if the extra money most of these amps cost is worth it. If there is an appreciable upgrade in sound, I will gladly spend the extra money. That is why I wanted to get some feedback from people who have specifically used the airhead and now have switched to another portable. Plus, since I've started down this path, I just can't seem to stop spending money.
smily_headphones1.gif

I right there with you. I'm looking at the Pico, and the Apogee Duet, because I'm ripping hudreds of cds to hard drive and want to go around the electronics in my Mac and through a really good dac. But the truth is that the sonics in the Mac are really good for a computer, and my cheap old Airhead out of the headphone jack sounds pretty good. I'm willing to go the $500 for the Pico or Duet. But not if $140 for the Total Bithead will get me there.

But how do you find out these things? It's not like there is a retail store out there you can walk into and try them out...

Tim

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 15
Since getting into this new hobby, if that's what we can call it, there are just too many options, and it's great to have a site like this to come and do research. But still, one thing I do not see in any threads is a comparison of the airhead to all of the other portables. Really the Airhead has been good, but if the extra money has a large sound benefit, than I want that benefit.

Looking at some of the other factors ammatos asked about, size is important. From reading reviews this really only eliminates a few like the Lisa(I guess the $400 eliminated it as well). The external power thing is no big deal, I'm not going to be driving my 650's with my portable (got my desktop for that
biggrin.gif
). A gain switch is important, since I'll be using it for my SE530's and SR325i. So I'd like at least two setting which most have. Battery life is important, but almost all of the amps will go between at least 30-40 hours, which is what I get out of the Airhead.

Really, it boils down to portability and sound. If the alternatives that are out there that cost more are worth it, I'm in. Really I'd like to hear from someone that had an airhead and switched to one of the higher priced models. As far as specifics, I'd like a little deeper, tighter base, and some better control on the highs, plus it sounds like some of the more expensive models have a more expansive soundstage.

The Pico sounds great, but I can't lie, I'm probably the most impatient person in the world, and I don't think I can wait 4,5, or 6 months+ for it. Maybe down the road though.

Tom, from what I've read about the Pico, it sounds like the DAC is out of this world for a portable, so I would have to assume with all the raves, that it would be better than the bithead and a large improvement over your MAC. Alas, once again, all based on perceptions since I have never heard it
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 15
Since you still seem to be going crazy.

<A> The AirHead did not seem to get much attention here, for whatever reason. I've been looking for a review (or its mate, the BitHead), but haven't found one.

<B> As to making a choice, when there are so many, try this. Make a checklist of those feature your NEW toy MUST have. Make a checklist of features your NEW toy must NOT have. Then, go through the "32" Review (remember, many units have been discontinued - so not 32) and start checking. This should start knocking out units. Then check other reviews on this site, on other sites, and the supplier's web site. More checking. This should knock your list down to five or so. You should be able to pick your poison from these.

Also, from my prior Q. - Is "CrossFeed" feature of importance.

SEPARATE Point - Why don't you write a review with your impressions of The Total AirHead. As we've noted, there not much here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to hear some hands-on feedback regarding this 'toy'.

Luck,

a.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 15
does it have to be run off batteries? if not, you could get a headamp gilmore lite, it's pretty damn small for a desktop amp and will fit in a suitcase. if it's still too big, maybe you could get someone to build it for you in a smaller box with the power supply built in instead of a walwart? it's called gilmore dyna-lo in the diy department.

going from total airhead to a gilmore lite will be a huge improvement. i don't think too highly of the airhead to be honest with you, the sound is no better than a cmoy. portable amps are really limited in how good they can sound, going from one portable to another portable isn't going to get you much improvement save for the ppa which can be built to desktop specs.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 15
I think an punchy monster like GoVibe Petite USB would fit your needs, so get it, before you spend a lot more for the same. And USB is damn great on this one to. Did I mentioned the bass? Well, try it and you will know. My KSC75 become my new reference phones. As you may know they do sound a bit bright, Grado like, but Petite controles everything so nicely, amazing.
This amp need more attention up here, real thing, imo. I tried GS1000 with them and the result were good, not WOW, but listen some of the USD 2000 amps couldnt get GS1000 at the level like PETITE did
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still very new to the headphone scene, roughly 4 months. My ears and head have been loving every minute of it, my wife and wallet not so much.
I have been using the total airhead as my portable, but after spending far too much time reading here, I am looking to upgrade.

I listen to mainly rock, with a good bit of jazz, and some classical thrown in.
The amp will mainly be paired with my SE530's/80gbIpod for business trips and bedtime listening. I use 320 AAC and Apple lossless files(depends on the recording) I travel quite a bit for work. On longer, personal trips, I will also be packing my SR 325i's.

My main criteria in order of importance:
1. SQ- Obviously as a rock fan, I needs me some good tight, deep powerful bass, but I also like transparent highs and silky mids(need to have it all).
2. Portability-it's mainly for travel, so I don't want the thing to be a suitcase, it would be a good thing if I could mate it to my Ipod like the total airhead.

The rest is wide open, I really don't need a DAC since I don't use my work laptop for music and I've got my Headroom DAC at home. I can deal with a plastic case/not great looks etc. if the sound is there. Really, I'm just looking to take the next big step up soundwise. I've been reading around and the Voyager and RSA amps all sound worth investigating. I've got up to $400 to spend, and I don't mind spending it all if the upgrade in sound is worth it. I wanted to ask some more experienced ears, based on my usage, what a good fit would be.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think an punchy monster like GoVibe Petite USB would fit your needs, so get it, before you spend a lot more for the same. And USB is damn great on this one to. Did I mentioned the bass? Well, try it and you will know. My KSC75 become my new reference phones. As you may know they do sound a bit bright, Grado like, but Petite controles everything so nicely, amazing.
This amp need more attention up here, real thing, imo. I tried GS1000 with them and the result were good, not WOW, but listen some of the USD 2000 amps couldnt get GS1000 at the level like PETITE did
icon10.gif

Could you please advise where the "GoVibe Petite USB" is available. As an 'enjoyer' of a Go Vibe 7, I would be interested in checking out this new Go Vibe "toy".

thanXs,

angel

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it have to be run off batteries? if not, you could get a headamp gilmore lite, it's pretty damn small for a desktop amp and will fit in a suitcase. if it's still too big, maybe you could get someone to build it for you in a smaller box with the power supply built in instead of a walwart? it's called gilmore dyna-lo in the diy department.

going from total airhead to a gilmore lite will be a huge improvement. i don't think too highly of the airhead to be honest with you, the sound is no better than a cmoy. portable amps are really limited in how good they can sound, going from one portable to another portable isn't going to get you much improvement save for the ppa which can be built to desktop specs.

Hello Panda,

I have four Q's for you, which I hope you can provide some answers to:

A- You noted that you 'dislike' the Total Airhead as an amp. As there isn't much about the Total Airhead on this site, could you please provide your impressions about this 'toy', both positive and negative. Please include your impression as to the implementation of the 'crossfeed' feature on the Total Airhead.

B- Where do I find more info on the "gilmore lite".

C- What/Who is the "ppa", and where do I find more info.

D- Do you have any experience with other amps that includes the 'crossfeed' feature, if yes - would you please share your impressions as to their implementation.

much thanXs,

angel

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 15
i only listened to the total airhead for an hour or so, i wasn't impressed. bass was bloated, voices sounded smeared and the highs were scratchy sounding. the crossfeed killed imaging and everything was pushed to the middle if you can fathom what that sounds like. also lost some detail. overall not a good impression...

you can do a search, it's made by headamp. i owned one for a while for use with grado rs-1 and highly recommend it.
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (Gilmore Lite Headphone Amp)

ppa is an amp designed by people in the diy community. the one i heard was made by larocco audio, but there are other builders out there that can accommodate also.

i owned a xin supermini which also had crossfeed, wasn't a fan of that either. the effect wasn't that dramatic though. another amp that has crossfeed that i tried is meier audio corda ha-1. it was better than headroom's amps but i still didn't care for the feature. to me any xfeed just dirties up the sound and i'd rather deal with stereo separation than lose fidelity...

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 15
Panda, thanXs much for your response to my inquiry.

I'm depressed that your experiences with the "CrossFeed" feature has been so negative; three implementations and they all suck. Boo-hoo. Pity! It would be nice if there were a Portable Amp that could aide IEMs via a properly implemented crossfeed circuit. This is not a new concept, so I don't understand why it can't be done well.

And I very much agree with you, if a crossfeed circuit 'damages' the signal in processing it - it is useless.

I'm also surprised that the Total Airhead was such a disappointment, it sounds significantly inferior to other products in its price bracket. I would think that the company would have a stronger 'introductory' product, especially when this is not a NEW product (design).

You seem to have experienced quite a few headamps, so would you mind sharing your positive and negative impressions on the 'toys' you've loved and hated. :wink:

Outside of the basics - good freq response, low noise, etc. my main concerns are detail (very and airy) and soundstage (wide and spaced).

BTW - Do you know if the GoVibe Petite USB is from the same folks who built the prior Go-Vibe Amps, or is this the new builder??????

Best,

angel

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 15
After much reading,and reading, and reading some more I decided on the Voyager. It really does sound like almost everything I'm after. A little bigger than what would be optimal (can't have it all) but the SQ just sounded too good to pass up, especially on the bass side of things. When I get it, I will a/b it with my airhead and share some thoughts. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back