Looking to upgrade, need recommendations
Sep 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Lvivske

500+ Head-Fier
Hey

First let me say my current set is a Sennhesier HD580. I love em, but think for the amount I use em it might be worth to just splurge and get something even better finally.

I listen almost exclusively to metal.
I'd say about 90% of the time I use them its direct to my laptop; I don't own a headphone amp. I may start plugging into my stereo receiver again once I finish renovations but until then lets assume I stick with the laptop as the primary source for the next few months.

I also sometimes use them for playing and recording guitar; though not as much recently.

I used to own a HD595 set and cross compared the two for several weeks before picking one and the 580 was much better for rock and metal IMO, despite what I'm reading here and on reviews. Naturally I'm looking at the HD650's as the step-up, but I'm open to other brands as I haven't really tried anything else in the high end market.

Anyway, looking for:
- $250 to $350 budget
- Velour padding (love this feature; comfort is HUGE since I leave them on for so long)
- good for metal, rock, guitar driven music; LOUD music
- durable

So can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much in advance, hope to stick around these forums for some time
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 22
HD650 means an good amp to drive them, however if you enjoyed HD580 without one, hmm, still not sure. Dont get me wrong, they will fit your needs, but to push them to their potentials, amp is need it.
But Grado SR225 are one I would look at it first. Take extra pads, flat or comfy, and simply enjoy your metal. However even SR80 will do the job, imo.

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 means an good amp to drive them, however if you enjoyed HD580 without one, hmm, still not sure. Dont get me wrong, they will fit your needs, but to push them to their potentials, amp is need it.
But Grado SR225 are one I would look at it first. Take extra pads, flat or comfy, and simply enjoy your metal. However even SR80 will do the job, imo.

im perfectly fine getting an amp as long as its portable. though i listen through my laptop a lot, its almost exclusively while at home

once renovations are done, now that i think about it, ill likely go back to plugging into my receiver which should pack enough juice no problem.

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 22
There are some good portable amps around and I would took one with DAC option as well, so you can plug to your computer and enjoy your hp even more, just search and you will find a lot of info.
Funny thing, about HD650 I mean, they cost like USD 300, but one of the best home amps to drive them comes to USD 2000, so if I were you I would just run...
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 22
so running them out of my receiver wouldn't be sufficient?

these are all the suspects i have on my list right now that im reading review up for:
AKG K 701
Sennheiser HD 650 (duh)
Beyerdynamic DT-990 or 880

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some good portable amps around and I would took one with DAC option as well

anything you can recommend? ive narrowed my can search to the post above 3 brands.

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 22
What amp would you suggest for the HD 650s, that is near $2000?

I'm using the Little Dot MK III with my HD 580s and it's out of this world.

@Lvivske: If you get an amp and DAC you could easily keep the HD 580s. When I got my MK III I about lost it, it really was amazing, how much the sound quality changed.

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 22
Zana Deux

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anavel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Lvivske: If you get an amp and DAC you could easily keep the HD 580s. When I got my MK III I about lost it, it really was amazing, how much the sound quality changed.

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lvivske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so running them out of my receiver wouldn't be sufficient?

these are all the suspects i have on my list right now that im reading review up for:
AKG K 701
Sennheiser HD 650 (duh)
Beyerdynamic DT-990 or 880

Depends on the receiver - some are adequate. Of course, I am cheap and prefer to be on the left side on the diminishing returns curve.

(yes yes, I know I have more headphones than I have ears. Or fingers.)

Your absolute best bet is to find a store that will let you audition some headphones. If you are lucky you can even audition them out of a similar receiver to what you have.

You may not be able to listen to every pair on your list, but if you listen to a couple, you will be better able to navigate the field of amateur reviews out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lvivske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey
I also sometimes use them for playing and recording guitar; though not as much recently.

You may wish to look at one of the "prosumer" audio I/O boxes out there then - emu 0404, Apogee Duet, MOTU 828 MKII/Traveller/ultralite, etc. There are scores of USB and firewire solutions out there, from simple 2 in 2 out to huge 8x8 192 khz boxes with mixing capability. Some have top notch DACs/ADCs, and can drive 300-600 ohm headphones like they were designed to (because they were).

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 22
Which part of metal do you like... rapid kick drumming, guitar solos, the vocals?

HD650 certainly succeeds at conveying the slam of the drums, and would be my recommendation in this price range for metal, but is a bit lacking in high end, so it's not for everyone. The K701 is quite a bit more even-handed, but may be a bit too "tame" for metal. Definitely NOT the DT880s unless you only like listening to the cymbals.

Those are the only cans I own in that price range... if you're interested in upgrading to $1k+ cans (you've got the bug, so it's only a matter of time) I might be of more help
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anavel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Headroom Desktop... you can get a balanced amp and balanced HD650s for under $2k. I've got one and it's a really good deal.

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 22
i guess ill buy both the HD650s and the K7's, and run them through the gauntlet like i did the 595's vs 580's last year

my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-816
Quote:

Surround Power 770 Watts Total System Power - 110 watts x 7 (1kHz 1.0% THD @ 8 Ohms)
Stereo Power 220 Watts Total System Power - 110 watts x 2 (20 Hz - 20kHz .7% THD @ 8 Ohms)

whats the take on this?

ps: so you guys call it "the bug" here? in the guitar community its G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome), lol

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 22
hi guys

i'm having the same doubt about upgrading right now. i own the sennheiser HD580 and i listen to them connected to my computer, i have a Creative X-Fi Platinum so the result is completely different than an ipod for example, still, at louder volumes the headphone just won't respond well enough in the low frequencies and will distort the sound and show interferences that i don't get at lower volumes. So I would like to know if upgrading to the HD650 would solve this problem or if this is just something to do with amping, and other choices knowing i probably can handle something that needs amping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back