Looking to upgrade my vinyl rig
Mar 28, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #16 of 20
I have no experience with them, but lower end VPI's (i think like the scout) might fit into your budget so might be worth a look? Just for a bit more choice, as i say, i can't go recommending them.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the Regar Planar 3 and wasn't overly impressed. I'm know trying to figure out if I may be better of spending my money on upgrading my current turntable (JVC JLA1). Though its hard to get an opinions as few people seem to now of it.

As mentioned above it's a '70s Pioneer clone which is no bad thing as these were amongst the best budget decks of the era. The Rega's were the most popular budget decks of the following decade and have endured with a superior arm design being the main improvment. They and the cheaper Pro-Jects are more expensive these days because turntables per se are more expensive these days. They arn't really much of an upgrade on what you have.

To get something much better than that you'll need to move into the Michell / VPI class of deck or else go for a vintage Thorens or Linn.

The only way to really improve your current deck as it is would be to put a more modern tonearm on it but I don't think it's really worthwhile as the motorboard probably isn't upto it. If you want to do a DIY project then get a deck like the Technics SL1200.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by grammicci14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some old pioneers can be had for cheap and they sound great. With a high end phono stage they should sing. This would let you afford a pricey phono stage?

Well the JVC deck he has is almost an exact clone of the Pioneer PL-12D so unless he finds something like a PL-C590 which would allow a tonearm upgrade then there isn't much point. And anyway buying an expensive phonostage for a budget deck is pretty much always a waste of money...

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #20 of 20
Wow, they are almost identical from appearance with only a few minor differences (thankyou memepool for that info). I'm still having a hard time deciding, thank you again for all the help, and i'm looking further into this with your recommendation in mind. Thought that Thorens so far is looking very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back