Looking to upgrade my setup
Jun 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Peter2290

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

So I'm looking to upgrade my computer audio setup. I built a new computer this past January (mainly for gaming and photo/video editing) and right now I'm using my 5-6 year old Logitech z-5300e surround speakers, but only in a 3.1 setup since I don't have places to put the rear speakers. I'm also using Audio-Technica AD700 headphones for playing games. I don't have a actual sound card yet and my motherboard (asus p8p67 pro) has Realtek ALC 892 audio.

My listening is probably 50/50 music/gaming and I'm looking for a nice 2.0 desktop speaker system since I'm sick of my z-5300e's as the sub is big/heavy and a pain in the ass to move since I'm a college student (and while they can get very loud, they don't sound particularly great). I'm looking to spend around $150 however I could also go up to $200 if they speakers are really good for the price.

I've briefly looked around and some speakers that have caught my eye are the M-Audio AV40, Audioengine A2, and [size=x-small]Swans D1010MKII 08/ D1080MKII 08 (though the 1080 are probably larger than I'm looking for).[/size]

What do you guys think would be a good upgrade? and also should I look into getting a good sound card for these types of speakers?

Thanks a bunch.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 2
So I've eliminated the Audioengine 2s because I've heard that they are good, but not $200 good (and also because of their size they are light on bass).

This leaves me with either the AV40s or D1010MKII 08s both at around $140, or I can pay just $40 more and get the D1080MKII 08s. The thing I like about the Swans is that they look gorgeous, and that since they have better low frequency range (59/62Hz vs 82Hz) they should be better on the low end correct? Also I read that the Swans use 4 wires to connect the master speaker to the slave (2 for the tweeter, 2 for the woofer), while the AV40 only uses 4. Does this make any difference?

The only thing holding me back from the D1080s are their size, I'm not sure how well they would fit on a desk (compared to the smaller D1010s/AV40s), and the only thing holding me back from the Swans in general is their lack of reviews compared to the AV40s. Oh yeah, and the AV40s have a headphone input, which would be nice to have. 

Anyone have any experience with any of these speakers? 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back