Looking to upgrade my portable setup
Mar 18, 2018 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Richard James

New Head-Fier
Sold one of my watches today to invest in some audio gear. I have 800 CAD to spend and am trying to figure out what my next upgrade should be. I currently own a Cowon Plenue D dap and Vmoda-M100 headphones. I’m considering purchasing the chord mojo. Im also interested in a set of open cans but given my budget I’d need to spend mlmey on a good amp as well. What would you buy in my situation?

I love my current setup, but I want improve my listening experience even more.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 6
If you want to cheat a bit on your amp budget, and you're going to be driving full-size headphones, the Walnut F1 is a great deal at $30.

Re: what to best spend your money on, you may want to talk about what you're looking for, or what kind of improvement you want over your existing setup.

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 6
If you want a Mojo, that is going to eat up pretty much your entire budget. At 800 CAD you won't be able to get both a Mojo and a decent open headphone. Can you prioritize your wants and needs for us? Do you want a portable or desktop setup?

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 6
If you want a Mojo, that is going to eat up pretty much your entire budget. At 800 CAD you won't be able to get both a Mojo and a decent open headphone. Can you prioritize your wants and needs for us? Do you want a portable or desktop setup?

I’m looking mainly for a desktop setup right now. I use my Cowon Plenue D DAP with Vmoda-M100 currently. I prefer to listen to music on the go but I wouldn’t mind having a desktop DAC/AMP setup.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 6
An HD650 plus a Modi Multibit plus a Magni 3 could work for you. The HD650 leans toward the warm and the Magni 3 tends toward the brightish. Maybe read about these and see what you think. Alternatively, you could go with a tube amp like a Darkvoice 336 SE, for example. Some thoughts.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 6
I have to give it some more thought. I only have 800 CAD to work with. I’m really looking for a way to improve my listening experience. Be it with a Dac/amp or better headphones. The only issue I’m seeing upgrading headphones is that I’ll need to spend money on a good amp to get my moneys worth out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back