Looking to upgrade my portable audio (currently iPod Nano 6G, Sennheiser MX680)
Oct 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kyriezolo

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have been using an iPod Nano 6G with Sennheiser MX 680 earphones. However, they have both started showing their signs of overuse. The iPod's volume up button doesn't work anymore, and I keep the volume on max and vary it with the MX's volume slider. The MX have also started making distortion because of the many hours that I ran with them, soaking them in sweat. The jack has slightly deteriorated, and using the volume slider sometimes causes one side to be quieter than the other.

Since none of the two are really broken, and I still find them acceptable, I have been thinking of getting a new pair of non-sport earphones. I would prefer ones with a remote control for the iPod, no more than maybe $80.
Also, is it worth looking for another mp3 player? Something like 70$-80$ that has better SQ than the iPod Nano 6G? I have read some reviews that say the Sansa Clip+ has better quality when using Rockbox.
I mainly listen to various metal genres, and sometimes podcasts.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi, I have been using an iPod Nano 6G with Sennheiser MX 680 earphones. However, they have both started showing their signs of overuse. The iPod's volume up button doesn't work anymore, and I keep the volume on max and vary it with the MX's volume slider. The MX have also started making distortion because of the many hours that I ran with them, soaking them in sweat. The jack has slightly deteriorated, and using the volume slider sometimes causes one side to be quieter than the other.

Since none of the two are really broken, and I still find them acceptable, I have been thinking of getting a new pair of non-sport earphones. I would prefer ones with a remote control for the iPod, no more than maybe $80.

Also, is it worth looking for another mp3 player? Something like 70$-80$ that has better SQ than the iPod Nano 6G? I have read some reviews that say the Sansa Clip+ has better quality when using Rockbox.

Hey Buddy!:) Have a look at this link http://www.mp4nation.net/ibasso-dx50-24-192-hifi-digital-audio-player

You get the iBasso DX50 and a Free pair of Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Earphones which are $109 on there own and the DX50 $249 + $22 p&p from ibasso themselfs and you can get both for $254.50

Seriously worth considering:) you cant go wrong with either:) i dont know if ill use the earphones when mine comes since i have ATH-M50's but there all hype so will try them and possibly use them every now and then travelling if i cant bring my headphones:) or forget them:L

- JT

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 17
Hello!

For IEM, I suggest you to look into the
A-Jays 2 (I was surprised by how good they sound for the price!)

XBA-1 (Very nice sound. Mellow sounding, roll off at both end. The strong point is it's mid-range! If you like this kind of sound, this is the headphone for you :) )

As for DAP,
The iNano 6th offer great build quality, you might find the Sansa DAP to be lacking in build quality but other than that, it's not a bad DAP

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 17
My budget is $150 max. If it's not worth to buy another DAP, then I need an iPod remote. I have seen these IEMs:

Klipsch S4i
Sennheiser MM70i

I have read that the Klipsch are a bit too bassy. Are there other IEMs in this price range that sound good for hard rock/metal?

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Originally Posted by kyriezolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is $150 max. If it's not worth to buy another DAP, then I need an iPod remote. I have seen these IEMs:  
Klipsch S4i
Sennheiser MM70i

I have read that the Klipsch are a bit too bassy. Are there other IEMs in this price range that sound good for hard rock/metal?

The Klipsch S4i are a bit 'bassy'...sounds like the XBA1's that Bilson mentioned don't have that issue. Currently on sale at Sonic Electronix for $29.99 (lowest I've seen)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_49569_Sony-XBA-1-XBA1-Single-Balanced-Armature-Driver-In-Ear-Headphones.html

Meelec and Brainwavz also make some good IEMs in the $40 to 50 range.  The Meelec A151 (~$44) is a nice all-rounded and the Brainwavz M4 (~$45) is as well with a little more v-shaped signature.  These IEMs would allow you to buy a Clip Zip ($55) and rockbox it ...getting out the door for $100.

That said, I bought my Denon AH-C560s a year ago and really like them...good bass (not muddy), excellent mids, and a little sparkle on the high-end.  They mostly get used on my phone (inline mic) but sound great on the Clip Zip when I remember to get them out of the car. 

They are currently on $47 at B&H Photo Video.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745161-REG/Denon_AH_C560RK_AH_C560R_In_Ear_Stereo_Headphones
Review here http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-c560r-premium-mobile-elite-in-ear-headphones-with-3-button-remote-and-microphone-black/reviews/4820

BTW, I like my Clip Zip better than the Nano Gen 6 I had.  It does feel lightweight (plastic) but I've had no reliability issues in the two years I've owned it and I like the sound better. In addition, the flexibility of the Rockbox UI and ability to add Micro SDHC cards make this decision a no-brainer for me.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 17
Are there any noticeable differences between the 3 IEMs? Some reviews say the M4 have a slightly lower midrange.
Also, How does the Clip Zip differ from Clip+? Do they have a difference in sound quality?

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 17
Think Clip Zip is just latest version...haven't heard the Clip+...so can't comment.

I agree with DWeaver's review on the 560C's.  Bought mine for $69 would do it again...great value at $47.

A151's a close second and solid all-rounder with some BA 'quickness'.  The M4's are like an S4i done right to me...good IEM.  That said, maybe the M5s are worth looking at...supposed to be more balanced than the M4s.

FWIW, MP4Nation.net has the M4's for $37 and the M5s for $45.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 17

I would say to get the Clip Zip 4GB and add a 16GB or 32GB mico-SD memory stick.
Rockboxing is free, so your total could be from $55-$65.

They do not have a remote control, but the JVC HA-S500 folding on-ear headphones are around $60 and I think they really sound nice.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 17

I would say to get the Clip Zip 4GB and add a 16GB or 32GB mico-SD memory stick.
Rockboxing is free, so your total could be from $55-$65.

They do not have a remote control, but the JVC HA-S500 folding on-ear headphones are around $60 and I think they really sound nice.

From what I've read about the S500's they're a great value...I have the S400s (~$25) and they're very nice as well and pair nicely w/Clip Zip

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 17
I decided to go for the Clip+ and the AH-C560R. The Clip+ has arrived, and I believe it sounds better than the Nano, with no need for EQ, unlike the Nano. The Denons are still stuck in delivery, so I can't comment on them yet.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 17
  I decided to go for the Clip+ and the AH-C560R. The Clip+ has arrived, and I believe it sounds better than the Nano, with no need for EQ, unlike the Nano. The Denons are still stuck in delivery, so I can't comment on them yet.

Same here...my Clip Zip sounds better than my wife's Nano.  Think you'll like the Denon's

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 17

Check out the firmware Rockbox, at the website rockbox.
3rd party firmware for the Clip +

Users who are viewing this thread

Back