Looking to upgrade my gaming headphones
Aug 26, 2014 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sad Panda

New Head-Fier
Hi, its approaching that time where I consider looking at audio upgrades

AD900X - $150
DT990 - $126(PRO) / $221 (600ohm) (pricing wise it seems either the cheaper pro one or the 600 makes sense)
Q701 - $170
K702 - $180+
K712 - $350

What would you guys recommend, I read the gaming recommendation thread but considering I can't use the ratings posted to compare between headphones, I didn't really get a lot of info out of it besides "lulz AD700 fps". I would say I care about both the soundstage and immersion but would like to get the most bang for the buck. 
While mainly for gaming, I hope to buy something that I can use for general listening (ie movie, music, etc) as well which is why I figured I probably don't want to look at the 700x.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 21
  Hi, its approaching that time where I consider looking at audio upgrades

AD900X - $150
DT990 - $126(PRO) / $221 (600ohm) (pricing wise it seems either the cheaper pro one or the 600 makes sense)
Q701 - $170
K702 - $180+
K712 - $350

What would you guys recommend, I read the gaming recommendation thread but considering I can't use the ratings posted to compare between headphones, I didn't really get a lot of info out of it besides "lulz AD700 fps". I would say I can about both the sound stage and immersion but would like to get the most bang for the buck. 
While mainly for gaming, I hope to buy something that I can use for general listening (ie movie, music, etc) as well which is why I figured I probably don't want to look at the 700x.

The AD900X is the only headphone on your list that will work well with out a dedicated headphone amplifier.
What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 21

The AD900X is the only headphone on your list that will work well with out a dedicated headphone amplifier.
What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

I have an old receiver I can probably pull out somewhere, but for the sake of simplicity I would just like to know the merits/value of the headphones alone.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 21

I have an old receiver I can probably pull out somewhere, but for the sake of simplicity I would just like to know the merits/value of the headphones alone.

The 40-Ohm AD900X will not work well with a receiver's headphone output, because of the receiver headphone output's high impedance.
What is the make and model of the receiver?

The 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm headphones would do better with the receiver's headphone output.
The 62-Ohm AKG's might(?) work well with the receiver, depending on how old the receiver is?

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 21

The 40-Ohm AD900X will not work well with a receiver's headphone output, because of the receiver headphone output's high impedance.
What is the make and model of the receiver?

The 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm headphones would do better with the receiver's headphone output.
The 62-Ohm AKG's might(?) work well with the receiver, depending on how old the receiver is?

I honestly haven't used the receiver in like 6 years, its gathering dust somewhere down in the storage closet. I'll try and locate it later and post the info. If the 900x won't do well plugged into the receiver I can just plug it directly into my soundcard (creative fatality xfi (I think its a rebranded titanium hd but not sure)

I'm pretty flexible on what I need to do to get the headphones up and running. I'm more curious on how each of the headphones compare, given an optimal setup.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 21
  I honestly haven't used the receiver in like 6 years, its gathering dust somewhere down in the storage closet. I'll try and locate it later and post the info. If the 900x won't do well plugged into the receiver I can just plug it directly into my sound card (creative fatality xfi (I think its a rebranded Titanium-HD but not sure)

I'm pretty flexible on what I need to do to get the headphones up and running. I'm more curious on how each of the headphones compare, given an optimal setup.

I'm fairly sure the Fatality is not a rebranded Titanium-HD, but they should be about equal for CMSS-3D, but the Titanium-HD offers better audio quality.
If your big on vocals in music, then the AKG's might be the better choice, over the DT990s

You could daisy chain an external headphone amplifier ($60-$130) to the Fatality, then use whichever headphone you finally pick.

Replace the Fatality with a Sound Blaster Z ($84), maybe get the Q701(?)
Choice on headphone surround sound, if you want to replace the Fatality's CMSS-3D with the SB-Z's SBX.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 21

I'm fairly sure the Fatality is not a rebranded Titanium-HD, but they should be about equal for CMSS-3D, but the Titanium-HD offers better audio quality.
If your big on vocals in music, then the AKG's might be the better choice, over the DT990s

You could daisy chain an external headphone amplifier ($60-$130) to the Fatality, then use whichever headphone you finally pick.

Replace the Fatality with a Sound Blaster Z ($84), maybe get the Q701(?)
Choice on headphone surround sound, if you want to replace the Fatality's CMSS-3D with the SB-Z's SBX.

Sorry, meant it is a rebrand of the regular Titanium, not sure why I put HD after it >.> I'm not exactly sure how to respond to being "big" on vocals, I guess I like vocals when a song has them? That's one of the issues I have with choosing what to get. I guess I'd like my audio to sound like its meant to be heard without huge boosts to any particular range?

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 21

Sorry, meant it is a rebrand of the regular Titanium, not sure why I put HD after it >.> I'm not exactly sure how to respond to being "big" on vocals, I guess I like vocals when a song has them? That's one of the issues I have with choosing what to get. I guess I'd like my audio to sound like its meant to be heard without huge boosts to any particular range?

The DT990s are more full bass & full treble, mids are clear, but a little overshadowed.
I own the AKG K242HD and K550s, so I can only roughly guess the AKG K7XX series sound, which I guess has good mid range, and bass and treble are not blasting like the DT990s.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 21

The DT990s are more full bass & full treble, mids are clear, but a little overshadowed.
I own the AKG K242HD and K550s, so I can only roughly guess the AKG K7XX series sound, which I guess has good mid range, and bass and treble are not blasting like the DT990s.

Ah ok thanks. Seems like someone bought the 250 pros at 126 so thats not an option for me anymore. I forgot to account for shipping so the ad900x is around 178ish. So the 600 version of the DT990 is pretty close to the ad990x

Hmm though I'm leaning towards the 990x. Which one of these would you say has the best soundstage/3d simulation? It seems like all of the models I'm considering will do music and movies just fine.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 21

Ah ok thanks. Seems like someone bought the 250 pros at 126 so that's not an option for me anymore. I forgot to account for shipping so the ad900x is around 178ish. So the 600 version of the DT990 is pretty close to the ad990x

Hmm though I'm leaning towards the 990x. Which one of these would you say has the best sound stage/3d simulation? It seems like all of the models I'm considering will do music and movies just fine.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X will do decently well plugged directly into the Fatality sound card.
Where as with the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, chance are you would need to buy an external headphone amplifier.
The AD900X would be a little better for music, the DT990 for movies.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 21
How about the Rosewill USB 5.1 surround sound headphones? They are designed for gaming, so they have a removable mic, and volume/mute/mic mute on the cable. They also have vibration motors in the ears to make subbass rumble even more.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 21
I see these are your first posts, so Howdy, and welcome to Head-Fi! The saying here is "Sorry about your wallet!" Don't be afraid to start your own thread, FYI
biggrin.gif

Most here would recommend getting a stereo headset that isn't designed for gaming and then adding a mic like the Zalman Clip-On for $7. Is $50 your budget max?

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 21
Oh lol. My b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back