Looking to upgrade my ATH-M50s
Dec 11, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 20
You seriously need to say more than just "more bass than M50".  That leaves about a billion other factors left with no information for anyone to go off of.  What.  Else.  Do.  You.  Like.  Dislike.  About.  M50. 

Midrange?  Treble? 

Unless all you listen to is bass guitar? 

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 20
You seriously need to say more than just "more bass than M50".  That leaves about a billion other factors left with no information for anyone to go off of.  What.  Else.  Do.  You.  Like.  Dislike.  About.  M50. 

Midrange?  Treble? 

Unless all you listen to is bass guitar? 

I will list it, just because I'm asking for something doesn't mean you have to be rude either. (I am neither literate in every single aspect so don't shoot me down on wrong terminology if I knew everything I wouldn't be asking a question...)

High tones: I liked the very neutral feel of my m50s and would like something similar but upgraded naturally.
Mid tones: Same as high tones
Bass: I wouldn't mind some bass which I can feel more, my m50s bass was strong in sound but I felt it lacking in the feel of it.
Treble: Balanced, I don't want anything particularly bright or dark.
Soundstage: My m50s felt claustrophobic so I would like something more open sounding more like my previous HD555s

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
I had the blue box M50 myself. The bassiest M50. I still didn't feel the DT990 was lacking. And I certainly feel the DT990 has more sub bass than mid bass. We all hear differently I guess. People have stated the M50 to be bass neutral (even blue box ones), and DT990s to be bass monsters. I think both have their powerful but different sounding bass.

That's honestly the most bizarre experience I've personally heard.  I wonder what it could be-- rather song selection or amp/dac.  Perhaps you're driving your DT990 properly and I'm not?  What ohm version of the DT990 are you using?  If anything, I can't see how the DT990 has more subbass than midbass, especially compared to something as extended as the M50s.  I got no problem hearing the DT990's midbass is satisfying coming from a closed can, but man it just doesn't have the same presence for anything under 50hz, like like a pair of small bookshelves.

I know my Little Dot MKII isn't giving the 600Ω beyer I have it full potential, and everybody says the E9 is even less suited for a 600Ω beyer, so maybe you have one of the lower impedance ones?  There certainly is a huge difference between the DT990 and M50, anyways, the way I'm hearing them.  You were specifically the one that drove me to get the DT990s because of how you commented on their bass, but I guess I was expecting too much from the comments.  Make no mistake I really enjoy these headphones, though.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back