Looking to upgrade my AD-700's
Nov 1, 2017 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

z1ggy

New Head-Fier
Relevant details:

-Want something with as wide or wider (if possible?) sound stage
-Used mostly for gaming, some music (metal, rock, pop)
-Open air design
-Prefer V or U shape response, neutral would be okay, too
-budget, willing to go up to $400-500 (willing to buy used as well)
-Will probably pair with an E10k

So far is seems like HD-650's would be an obvious choice, but I am open to anything else. HE-400 seems very good but reviews have said they are a bit more bright, but I'm looking for something to really accentuate explosions, foot steps, etc.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 9
The HD 650 is far better than the AD700, except its soundstage is somewhat intimate.

If you want a more V-shaped frequency response and a larger soundstage, you may like the HD 700.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Relevant details:

-Want something with as wide or wider (if possible?) sound stage
-Used mostly for gaming, some music (metal, rock, pop)
-Open air design
-Prefer V or U shape response, neutral would be okay, too
-budget, willing to go up to $400-500 (willing to buy used as well)
-Will probably pair with an E10k

So far is seems like HD-650's would be an obvious choice, but I am open to anything else. HE-400 seems very good but reviews have said they are a bit more bright, but I'm looking for something to really accentuate explosions, foot steps, etc.
650/600 isn't a good pick for gaming at all, and definitely not paired with an E10k. The soundstage is very small/intimate and while it is better for music, it falls short in gaming by a wide margin. With a weak amp like the FiiO, it may also lack dynamics and could sound a bit boring due to this.

I think the Fidelio X2 is a much better choice. It doesn't need an amp, has a more exciting sound style, and is supposedly amazing for gaming. I've never heard one but I've researched it enough, and have seen countless threads on it, to know that the majority of people would agree that it's one of the best gaming headphones which also sounds great for music. I think it's just what you're looking for, and I'd strongly advise against the 6500/650 for your needs

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 9
Have you considered stepping up to the AD-900's? I still use my 700's, sold my 900's a couple years ago due to financial situations... But if you like the sound of your 700's, the 900's are that, but better. Only thing that you mentioned that would be of any concern would definitely be bass impact. The bass is there, it's just not overly present. But other than that, very solid, sounds great and can be had in the $200-$250 range (if you can find a pair)

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 9
DT 990 and X2 seem to fit what you're looking for, both will be easily driven by the E10K.

The difference between the 2 is that the DT 990 has no removable cable which kinda sucks cause you can use the Boom Pro on the X2 and turn it into a headset, DT 990 is also not good if you are treble sensitive.

If you can do so I highly recommend going to an audio store and trying both of them out.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 9
I have a fairly nice mic for gaming (Blue Yeti) so that's not an issue.

It stinks because the Best Buy near me does not have either set of cans, and the other audio place which mainly sells car audio and monitor speakers, does not either. I'm stuck (sort of) buying on Amazon prime, and returning the one I don't like.

How much burn in is required on the speakers? Ideally I want to listen to both for many hours before I kept one. Not sure if Amazon will take a box back if the insides have been opened up.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 9
I have a fairly nice mic for gaming (Blue Yeti) so that's not an issue.

It stinks because the Best Buy near me does not have either set of cans, and the other audio place which mainly sells car audio and monitor speakers, does not either. I'm stuck (sort of) buying on Amazon prime, and returning the one I don't like.

How much burn in is required on the speakers? Ideally I want to listen to both for many hours before I kept one. Not sure if Amazon will take a box back if the insides have been opened up.
I don't own DT 990' so I don't know how much burn in is needed on those but on my X2's it didn't take long at all and on my AKG's it took quite long at almost 100+ hours. You said in your original post that you don't mind a neutral sound signature and to that I'd recommend the AKG K712 Pro.

It's a neutral/analytical but fun sounding reference, monitor headphone and it smokes the X2 and DT 990 and imo is the best all-rounder hands down at it's price range.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't own DT 990' so I don't know how much burn in is needed on those but on my X2's it didn't take long at all and on my AKG's it took quite long at almost 100+ hours. You said in your original post that you don't mind a neutral sound signature and to that I'd recommend the AKG K712 Pro.

It's a neutral/analytical but fun sounding reference, monitor headphone and it smokes the X2 and DT 990 and imo is the best all-rounder hands down at it's price range.
Yah I've seen them recommended all over. I say I probably wouldn't mind a neutral sound because I know for sure my Ad-700 have a slightly recessed low end, and I find the bass tones for gaming to be adequate... but it is a little lacking. Explosions don't make me go OMGOMG! like they do on my home theater system. I know maybe a headphone could never quite do that because the sounds are so close and the speakers are tiny compared, but I guess if I am going to spend $400 or more.. I want to be blown away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back