Looking to upgrade from the Mimby/Magni 3 to something new
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

grahamtaustin

New Head-Fier
Looking to spend around 1k - 1.5k to upgrade my current setup. I have a pair of HD 650's with the Modi Multibit (Mimby) and Magni 3 amp and want to experience more resolve and a smoother sound after spending some considerable time with this setup. I love everything the Mimby an Magni but want to see what a better DAC and Amp would add to my setup. I've been really curious about getting a good tube amp and have looked into:

-Project Ember II
-Valhalla 2
-Lyr 2
-Bottleneck Crack w/Speedball
-or a used Woo Audio unit

i'm also looking for a DAC that is considerably better than the Mimby as buying a Bifrost doesn't seem to take you much further. I have heard good things about the:

-Gustard x20 pro
-Sonica DAC

Does anyone have reccomendations for DACs that pair nicely with the Project Ember II amp? I know this is all very subjective but wanted to get others opinions!

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Everybody says the Bottlehead Crack is the best pairing with the 600/650. I'd suggest trying that out with the Mimby to see if it fits what you want. The 650 reportedly scale decently well but there is definitely a line between a worthy upgrade and wasted money for an extra 5% in sound quality.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks cossix,

I agree, I don't want to marginally upgrade the DAC. I've been really looking at the Sonica and it seems like a substantial upgrade. I'll probably try the amp with the Mimby first to see how i like the new sound. but I agree, don't want to waste money to jump to something that doesn't truely improve the experience and don't have the desire to spend money just because.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Any D/S DAC is probably going to feel like a downgrade IMO. Stick to R2R or NOS. Go Bimby or save for Gumby.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball without any hesitation. Without Speedball is still very good. I also agree with @cossix anout the dac. I would give it a bit to see if that does it for you as I like the Schiit Multibit dac as I have a Yggy and can’t see myself upgrading anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back