Looking to Upgrade from Shure SE535s. Any recommendations?
Oct 23, 2016 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ReaperX13

New Head-Fier
Or a side grade with a different sound signature also works. If there's any hidden gems on the cheap, I'd be glad to consider those as well. My SE535s are getting on now, and whilst I am happy with them, (though not using right now, as the cables keep dying), I recently moved to my old UE600s while I wait for a new 535 cable. I actually find these very nice to listen to and suit my requirements mostly. (I've read that the cable can make a bit difference.. I was looking at getting a non-OEM cable - specifically - http://www.minidisc.com.au/headphones-earphones/headphone-cables/alpha-design-labs-ihp35m-13m-headphone-cable-p-1100539.html and was wondering if this may help my 535s sound a touch better?)

Some speculate the 1More triple driver is a good solution for something new and neutral on the 'cheap' but I'm worried about the cable not being replaceable and longevity. One review site even stated they preferred them over their 535s... 

I've also looked at the Sennheiser IE80s. Which look potentially promising as well. 

I listen to all types of music, with a current focus on rock/symphonic metal and EDM/Trance. 

Player of choice Cowon J3, with likely soon ish upgrade to the Plenue D. Most of my music is re-coded from FLAC to V0 MP3s, as I do not have 'golden ears' and cannot discern any major differences between keeping FLAC on my player vs well-encoded MP3s. 

Good Isolation is also a requirement. (IE80s apparently fall short here?)

Any opinions would be appreciated :). Please note I'm located in Australia which may limit some choices. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Nobody goes from the 535 to the IE80. Nobody.

I can recommend the FLC8S, ATH-IM03, and Earsomics SM64 for a "side-grade", or the Earsomics Velvet and 64Audio U3 for an "upgrade".

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 9
Nobody goes from the 535 to the IE80. Nobody.

I can recommend the FLC8S, ATH-IM03, and Earsomics SM64 for a "side-grade", or the Earsomics Velvet and 64Audio U3 for an "upgrade".

Thanks for your reply! 

Hmm fair enough. 

http://www.minidisc.com.au/ Is my primary website for audio gear Typically or - http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1 

The latter appears to have those Earsonics. I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks! 

Query, why does nobody go from the 535 to IE80s? I understand IE80s are 'better' in bass but I suppose less so in the mids where the 535s shine? Treble/high range? Do you believe it would be a big step down?

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 9
The IE80 is known as a muddy, unrefined earphone with poor detail. The bass is too heavy and uncontrolled, it bleeds over into the mids, and the treble is not enough to recover the air.

Those I recommend have GREAT bass that does not muddy the whole.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 9
Good to know! Thanks. 

Will look into those. 

Happy for anyone else to sway me otherwise, or if you believe some extra life can be given to my 535s, but I suppose I've just 'gotten used' to them? 

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi there,

my personal opinion on changing cables for iems is that the change due to the cable would not be as significant compared if you were to change a new iem. I personally would not encourage you to purchase an upgrade cable if you have not tried it as you may or may not like how it sounds with your iems. One iem that I can think of that you might like would be the new iBasso IT03. You should try it if u get the chance to. Hope it helps! :)

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 9
I do 100% agree with what Pinky has said so far. 

The IE 80 is a downgrade. If you want more quantity in the lows, it has what you are looking for. But if you are looking for quality in the bass and everywhere else, it will be a noticeable step down from the SE535

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Since you do like your 535's, you might consider filter changes to modify the sound signature. I have been recently "rolling" filters (per http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers) and have found the differences in line with those noted in the thread but have not settled in on a favourite. It is an inexpensive way to try different sound signatures. I also changed the cable to a whisper thin Linum cable which changed the sonics less than the filter mods and did eliminate cord microphonics. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 9
  Since you do like your 535's, you might consider filter changes to modify the sound signature. I have been recently "rolling" filters (per http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers) and have found the differences in line with those noted in the thread but have not settled in on a favourite. It is an inexpensive way to try different sound signatures. I also changed the cable to a whisper thin Linum cable which changed the sonics less than the filter mods and did eliminate cord microphonics. 

That sounds awesome! Such a small mod, could definitely be a consideration. I needed a cheap cable that works, as mine went out, so I grabbed a cheap Blue OFC cable which does the job for me at the moment. 

Thanks for the tip, looking at them online now :)

Edit: went out and bought greys and browns.. :p. I wonder if my SE215s I have lying around can benefit from this too? (Maybe the LTD version of these has the same change of filters only??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back