Looking to upgrade from my Westone W30--
Jun 18, 2016 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scottsays

500+ Head-Fier
I really love these headphones---the sound quality is excellent and I really enjoy them. I picked up a set of the W3 when they were switching to the W30 model, at a close out price of $200. I had to send them back after the left channel went out and Westone repaired the set---awhile later it happened again and returned them and got a brand new set of the W30----and then once more 6 months later.
I also was given 2 free replacement cords after a phone call---so for $ 200 I basically got 3 sets of headphones and a set of replacement cords--best $200 I ever spent!

I use the Fiio X5 for my player, just upgraded to the Oppo HA 2 amp from the Fiio E12A mont blanc--
a nice step up--
The system sounds great---just would like to take it to the next level------
I have read a ton of reviews and really would like some advice as to what would be a smart upgrade
I know the W30's are seriously excellent and for the price really cannot be beat.

How much would I have to spend to get an upgrade that is truly noticeable?
I do not want to waste my money-- but don't mind spending for something that is superior and will
make my listening more enjoyable--

Thank you and would appreciate any advise--
I realize that so much of this is subjective but know this community is very well informed
and know I will get great advice here----
Thanks!!

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 5
BUMP------Any help?   

I am looking to upgrade my Westone W30---Love them but want a step up. After doing research on this site I have narrowed it down to--
Aurosonics plus 1--$500
1964 V3   $500
Audio Technica ATH-E70 $400
and possibly the Noble Audio Savant model- $600

This are primarily for my gym workout--I have a Fiio X5 and just upgraded to the Oppo HA2 amp-
my home headphones are Sen HD 650

Can anyone give me some advice? I know so much of this is selective and personal preferences--
I want a headphone that just "pops" and is amazing. When you listen to it you are blown away by the clarity,soundstage
how the music just comes to life---do not mind spending the money on something
that will bring me so much enjoyment------

Thanks!   

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Bumping this thread as I’m looking for the same thing. @scottsays what did you end up with?

Also love my W30 but I’m looking for a slightly smoother presentation and clarity of treble and even more transparency. Love the attack I hear with these and don’t want to lose that, the mids and bass are pleasing pleasing. Btw I’m comparing them to my Mr Speakers Aeon (I know a totally different animal). If I could get the clean and smooth vocals and details of the Aeon with the mids/bass and energy of the W30 that would be my prefect IEM.

Primarily playing through a Chord Mojo but occasionally straight out of my iPhoneX or MacBook Pro.

I’d say my budget is $600 but would love to spend less :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 5
I went crazy and went through 10 or more sets--constantly upgrading and reselling.
Currently I have Noble Encore--new $ 1,500 on sale and AK T8mkII- $ 600 used, which are excellent .
Not quite as good as the Encores--but for less than half the price definitely a better value. You can find them for $ 500 used if u really look and wait.
They are truly excellent and worth the money. I would be more than happy to answer any questions about models u r looking at if I have knowledge on them.
There are so many incredible products-----super fun but crazy expensive hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back