Looking to upgrade from my MRD-V6. What are your best suggestions?
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

corycorycory

New Head-Fier
So after 6 longs years, the rubber around the cord of my favorite headphones has left the wire exposed. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to repair it (multimeter or soldering gun), so I guess I will take this opportunity to upgrade :).

Things I love about the v6:
- crips/sharp sound of my v6's. I feel like I hear more detail in every song I listen to.
- Other headphones I've tried tend to have some noisy/grainy element that I don't like.

I wouldn't mind a little more bass than the v6's offer, but everything else about them is fantastic.

So, do you have any reccomendations, under $200, of something that would be a good upgrade to the mdr-v6?

I listen to everything from hiphop, raw rock, indie, and some more poppy music.
Examples: tribe called quest, avett brothers,  Dr. Dog, Arctic Monkeys, MGMT... that kind of stuff.

Thanks all!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 11
What sources do you plug the headphones into?

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 11
I would continue to save up; the next real step for you would be something like the HD600/650, Q701, or DT880.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 11
I hate dropping that much on a pair of headphones without trying them first.
Any advice on where to test them out?

I've been looking at the Creative Aurvana Live!, which seems to have some good feedback.  not sure it will be much of an upgrade though.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 11
The CAL would be a side grade...

Do you live near a major city? Most hifi stores have a few headphones.

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 11
The K701 sounds like the V6 with less bass and a huge soundstage (unfocused albeit).  Word around the streets is they need a strong amp, though something as simple as an E11 can drive them satisfyingly... to me at least.  I prefer the MDR MA900, DT880, and Fidelio X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back