Looking to upgrade from my ATH-M50's
Oct 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jayhey

New Head-Fier
Hey there, been reading and visiting head-fi for awhile now and decided its time to upgrade my M50's but i'm having a hard time deciding what to get so i thought i would ask for some advice!

I own some V-moda M80's as well and love them so i was thinking about getting the M100's but i have heard complaints about long term comfort, and as my M50's are my main headphones that i wear for hours on end at a time comfort is extremely important, so thats put me off the M100's abit

Any sugguestions or advice on what to get would be very helpful, thanks!

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 9
It might be helpful to know what sources your plugging your headphones into?
And the budget for headphone upgrade?

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi thanks for the reply, i mainly use them with my PC which has an asus xonar in at the moment though might upgrade that as well in the near future, other than that just a sandisk sansa

About £300 is the budget i was looking at, though it depends

Cheers

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 9
  Hi thanks for the reply, I mainly use them with my PC which has an Asus Xonar in at the moment though might upgrade that as well in the near future, other than that just a Sandisk Sansa

About £300 is the budget I was looking at, though it depends

Which Xonar? DG, DGX, DS ,DSX, D1, DX, other?
Adding an external headphone amplifier, like the EPH-02, for 99 GBP, would improve audio quality of any headphone, used with the Xonar.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 9
  STX actaully, I had thought about adding an external amp but its an area of knowledge severely lacking in! I'll check that one out though thanks

Unless you planning on getting headphones under 50-Ohms or spend a decent bit of cash (over $200) for an external headphone amplifier, it might make more sense to just plug headphones into the STX's headphone jack.
Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?
Are the headphones for music only? or also gaming? and movies?

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Ahh ok yeah i wasn't sure if anything would really make that much of a difference over the stx without dropping a decent amount of money on it, i would prefer closed headphones but its not a must as audio quality and comfort are really what i'm looking for

I use them for everything really, music gaming and movies

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 9
  Ahh ok yeah I wasn't sure if anything would really make that much of a difference over the STX without dropping a decent amount of money on it, I would prefer closed headphones but its not a must as audio quality and comfort are really what I'm looking for

I use them for everything really, music gaming and movies

If you can find a really good price on some used Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm (open)
The DT990 are more full bass & full treble, but the mids are clear.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (open) or ATH-A900X (closed)
Sennheiser HD558s (semi-open), sound is a little veiled, but I like that their sound is easy on the ears.
Beyerdynamic DT880 (semi-open), balanced audio.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm (closed).
AKG K601

Users who are viewing this thread

Back