Looking to upgrade from MS2i
Nov 26, 2006 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

perfektrtw

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I bought the Alessandro MS2i's right when they came out about two years ago I believe. I have really enjoyed them, but they way too bright for my tastes with the stock bowl pads. I bought the flat pads from Todd and it was a absolutely huge improvement in my opinion.

I have to admit that my source has not been the absolute greatest (no headphone amp, I only listen through my computer and soon an ipod), and the stuff I do have is considered to be pretty bright I believe. (emu 1212m originally, and now I will be using a X-fi Elite Pro)

My MS2i's have been pretty darn nice, but I can't help but to want more
basshead.gif

I love what the flat pads gave me, basically more bass, and subdued the really harsh highs. What I don't like is..they got a bit muddy. I'd like to keep as much as the bass as possible but still clearing up the "muddyness"

I also have set aside about 300-350 for a amp. I don't want to buy one of those though until I know if it will have good enough "synergy" with my headphones.

My pricerange for the headphones themselves is probably around 400 or less. I basically listen to rock/indie/punk, occasional metal and electronic.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Since you dont own an amp yet why dont you give the ms2's another listen once you purchase one.You might be pleasantly surprised afterwords.I can suggest a Gilmore Lite for an amp that I use with ms2's and 225's and theres nothing muddy sounding to my ears with this combo. Dynamic,tight,and fast sounding for $300 and it's yours from Headamp.

I also listen to rock,indie,punk and this combo pleases my ears.It's the first headphone amp I bought and it's a permanent resident here to stay.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 11
Some of my random thoughts....

IMHO the MS2 lOVES warm tube amplification and open, balanced sounding sources.

IMHO your source is not doing them Justice. IMHO a good source doesn't have to be expensive too, a Mid-fi DVD/CD as source, optical out into a warm sounding DAC can be SHOCKINGLY better sounding than a PC/MP3 setup with Grados/Alessandros.

Of all my non-headphone upgrades, my source and DAC upgrade has remained the most dramatic change for the $$$ spent. I didn't want to believe it, but source really DOES matter.

For $400, the no-brainer choice would be an RS2 (or sell the MS2 and get an RS1/MS Pro). Thats kind of what I did. But, if your source is harsh or bright... those cans will exagerate that flaw even more than the MS2. My previous source was an older Technics CD deck... it was brutally Bright, cold and sterile. The RS1 zoned in on this and made for a very un-involving presentation. IMHO the MS2 is a more forgiving can than the RS1.

Have you listened to the other high end Grados? Are you after an entirely different presentation (AKG, Senn)?.... or is the Grado house sound to your liking?

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Without an amp you are realizing only a fraction of what your MS2i's are capable of. Why make that same mistake by buying a RS1/RS2 and running them ampless? Put your money towards some sort of decent amplification and let the MS2's show you what they can do. Unlike the advice above I would not suggest the Gilmore Lite, especially if you are finding the MS2i's too bright in some instances. The Gilmore Lite is a good amp but on the bright side itself. I would look to a warmer amp perhaps a tube amp, or maybe the Heed, or EC-SS amp to drive the MS2i's.

- augustwest

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 11
For sure, the move to flats was the right first step.

Kramer's right though, it's time for some tubes!

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 11
I have not listened to my MS2i through my computer since I don't have a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter, but I do know that listening to my MS-1 through the computer is a somewhat bright experience compared to listening through my simple Onkyo receiver. I find the same thing with my KSC75s. It seems as though the bass is much better controlled by the amp than by the soundcard and the total presentation is improved.

I would suggest an improvement in source and amp as well.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 11
I was originally listening to my MS2s via my PC & a decent (Naim) amp. The sound left a lot to be desired. However, the addition of a decent DAC made a HUGE difference! Then, changing the PC source for a Squeezebox3 made another big (though slightly less so than the DAC) difference. Definitely definitely definitely look at your source for improvements! If you still find things a bit too bright, how about sending them off to Headphile for some woody tlc?
580smile.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will definately look at buying an amp as soon as possible! Any more feedback on recommended amps would be appreciated too!
smily_headphones1.gif

kramer5150, no I haven't heard any more Grados, and while I enjoy the presentation of my MS2i's after the flat pads, I am always open to trying different presentations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back