Looking to upgrade from mid-fi to hi-fi!
Jun 11, 2015 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

imac2much

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!
For the last year, I have been enjoying the Hifiman HE-400i running out of a Burson Soloist SL and Resonessence Concero.  I found that I personally cannot discern much difference between 16 bit audio files and 24 bit or DSD files, so I wasn't interested in the higher-end Concero HD.  I know some people say that the Sabre DAC's tend to be bright or make bright headphones sibilant, but thankfully I have not experienced that yet.  

Anyway, while I truly love this mid-fi setup, I am considering upgrading within the year.  I have read many reviews and threads but I am starting to discover that my headphone priorities and preferences tend to differ than most.  I'd love to hear any recommendations given these criteria:

Favorite genres: Electronic, Guitar, Strings, Classical, some female vocals, occasional trip hop 

1. Comfort.  I've briefly auditioned some Audeze headphones and I just cannot stand how heavy they are.  The newer Hifiman models truly shine in comfort in my opinion, though I'm sure there is room for improvement.

2. Soundstage.  I find that this is the biggest weakness for my HE-400i, so I would love for any upgrade to blow it away in this aspect.  For this reason, I've crossed the Oppo PM-1's off my list even though I just love how they look.

3. Musical tonality.  I've been told that my setup is rather neutral (though some argue that the Burson amps tend to be a bit warmer overall).  I enjoyed this for the most part but I am wondering if I would like something more musical instead.

4. Fit and finish.  While beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, I also was scared away by the original Hifiman HE-400's and HE-500's because they looked so unpolished.  And I know that others may disagree but I feel the same way with the venerable HD650's (even though they sound great).  Ironically, I think the older brother HD800's look fantastic if not a bit ostentatious.

Budget: I would rather not spend more than $1000 (new or used).  It would be great if I don't need to upgrade my Amp or DAC (which I suppose leaves power hungry planars like Alpha Dogs off the list?).

I actually really liked the sound of the HD800 when I auditioned them with some higher-end amp and DACs but then again they did not sound clerical at the time (I unfortunately don't remember the chain but suffice to say it was above my budget haha).  I'm worried my Soloist SL wouldn't be able to do them justice.

Thank you for your help!

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Well from what I understand the 560's don't have the greatest soundstage either.  That's one of the main reasons I'm holding off on them... I've only auditioned it once a while back (the same time I auditioned the 400i's before purchasing those) and while I found the clarity and imaging better than the 400i's, I didn't find the improvement overly noticeable.

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 9
AKG812's may have the soundstage you're looking for and you can get one for under $1000:

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K812PRO-K812-import-japan/dp/B00IAKEORC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434062712&sr=8-2&keywords=Akg+k812

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 9
Thank you inthere!  I researched the K812's but I'm a bit worried about its treble.  I did read that its soundstage, clarity and warmth are top notch.  Do you have a pair?  Can you provide any impressions?

Any other suggestions?  I'm also a bit curious now with the MrSpeakers Ethers.  Although they are slightly out of my price range at the moment, I might be able to afford them later.  Will I be able to drive them sufficiently with my setup?

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Hm, I'm not sure if that would offset the weight though.

So currently I am looking into the K812's, even though I am a bit worried about the treble.  I just wish I could audition them first because they otherwise seem like a fit for my tastes.  I'm also eyeing the new Ether but there aren't enough reviews and impressions out yet.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh, I think that the Alpha prime is a really good headphone. AVSF demoed it for me on a little marantz and it sounded fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back