Looking to upgrade from iBasso DX220.
Apr 23, 2020 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jouho

New Head-Fier
Howdy everyone. So it seems my DX220 has finally reached its end (at least to what I'm willing to do to fix it).

What recommendations do you have for another media player to go to from here? Preferably that's at least on par or better in audio quality. M11 Pro? Or something else?

- I don't care about Bluetooth or Android OS/apps/etc. I strictly want a high quality media player that uses my own .flac and other files I already 'physically' have on my comp & SD card.
- Will primarily be using the IT04 earbuds, maybe a pair of cans in the future.
- Not sure it matters, but I mainly listen to metal.

Additional info about the DX220:
So, it turns on and works perfectly fine... it just doesn't charge. At all. I've tried different cables/blocks/outlets: nothing. Tried briefly cleaning out the port: nothing. It just doesn't do anything at all when plugged in. But the interface and everything works fine when turned on, but the battery life is only at 19% or so left. I don't know much about soldering and replacing a charge port on devices; I'm assuming this is likely the only problem?
So instead I think I'm just gonna sell it for a huge markdown to someone who's willing to troubleshoot and replace the part themselves.

Thank you everyone!! :)

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 9
That sucks that the DX220 crapped out on you!

Did the M11 Pro - was pretty underwhelmed for the price tag so I returned it and went with the M11 which is $250 cheaper.
With the M11 Pro, you do get that slight DAC upgrade and you have the THX AAA amp (which is pretty cool). Larger battery, but shorter battery life because that amp requires so much power. Those who have gotten the M11 Pro and reviewed it have said one of two things; 1) Just get the M11, or 2) Its not that different from the M11, but there is a noticeable improvement to sound. I did not have the M11 to do a side by side comparison, but I did have my FiiO BTR5. I had the same song going on both, and I could notice a minimal difference between the BTR5 and the M11 Pro in the M11 Pro's favor. The M11 Pro had a little bit more detail, more power (obviously), and a little bit more treble presence. But, here's the thing, the BTR5 is a ~$120-140 portable DAC/amp, the M11 Pro is a $650 DAP. For that price difference, I was like "Yeah... I'm going to get the M11 instead". Fortunately, the screen was actually defective on my M11 Pro so I was able to return it without having to pay a 25% re-stocking fee.

I don't have a ton of experience with DAPs, so I would have recommended to you either the M11 or the DX220. Since the DX220 didn't pan out, I'm voting M11. There's other, better DAPs out there, sure, but the M11 IMHO is the best bang for your buck.
I kind of have the opinion too that if the sound quality is not up to par for your tastes on the M11, chances are its going to be the amp card, not the DAC. In which case, with the money you save purchasing the M11 over the M11 Pro, you can get a pretty good portable headphone amplifier to stack.

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you contacted Ibasso about battery replacement. Seems like that would be a heck of a lot less expensive than a new DAP.
I would agree the logical replacement would be the DX220 especially if you own several amp modules.

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Contact iBasso - they should be able to help you out, they have good customer support.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 9
@pjones5
have you already tried.....wipe cache partion - delete

Yeah, I tried a few little things - the device has long since been placed back in the mail and shipped back.
It had a rectangular ghost outline. Basically, a manufacturing screen burn in problem. There were other things that I could have tried and it might have gone away, but I was like, ya know, I paid $650 for this device, I shouldn't have to deal with that right out of the box.

** Also, I second everybody else - contact Ibasso before purchasing any other DAP. The DX220 is pretty sweet, blows the M11 out of the water (from what I've read).

May 17, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, I tried a few little things - the device has long since been placed back in the mail and shipped back.
It had a rectangular ghost outline. Basically, a manufacturing screen burn in problem. There were other things that I could have tried and it might have gone away, but I was like, ya know, I paid $650 for this device, I shouldn't have to deal with that right out of the box.

** Also, I second everybody else - contact Ibasso before purchasing any other DAP. The DX220 is pretty sweet, blows the M11 out of the water (from what I've read).
"manufacturing screen burn in problem" Are you talking about the M11 or M11 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back