Looking to Upgrade from CAL!s (~$300)
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 18
  Thanks, I'll probably check out the respective threads.  I'm not a huge fan of modding though, so I may lean towards getting the SRH840.  One last question: I generally don't amp either.  Are these low-impedence enough that I can just play them with my laptop and/or mobile device?

The KRK requires less modding than the Shure, only a cable replacement. The Shure might need a softer headband.

Both will sound fine from your sources, with the KRK a little easier to drive from an iPod or phone. The Shure will improve more with amping than the KRK.

Best luck with whichever you choose.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #18 of 18
Well, Head-Fi, I made a mistake.  I saw a great deal on a pair of ATH-M50s, and unsurprisingly they suck.  How anyone can like these beyond the bass is a real wonder to me; the mids are nonexistent and the vocals are simply terrible.  I've tried gluing my CAL!s back together, but I would really like to get more durable headphones.

The issue is, I absolutely LOVE the sound on my CALs.  Apart from this kind of buzzing background sound they've developed (don't ask me why), the profile on them perfectly matches the profile that I want music to sound like.  Could anyone recommend a direct successor to the CAL!s (aka better in every way?)  Should I try the Shures after I pawn these off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back