Looking to upgrade from Beats By Dre.
Aug 12, 2009 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Aaquib

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I have an addiction. I will buy a pair of headphones, love them for about a month, and then start imagining how much better my songs can sound. I went from Apple iBuds, to Apple In-Ears, to the wireless Sennheiser RS146, to the Sennheiser HD 380's, to the HD 595's, to the Beats by Dre. All in about 6 months.

Each upgrade, I've enjoyed the superior sound performance yet soon decide I need something more. This time I'm looking to upgrade from the Beats by Dre.

I miss the wider soundstage from the HD 595's, so was looking for something with a wide soundstage, really rich and deep bass, and the usual for the rest (mids and highs). Though many of you will say that the Beats by Dre suck or are overpriced, they are remarkably balanced, with incredibly detailed bass. Looking for an improvement.

I kind of have a bit of brand loyalty to Sennheiser, so was considering the HD 600/650, but will be open to any other brands. I'm looking to spend under $300 on the FS forum.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 19
Definitely take a look at the HD600/650 and the DT880s. All of them will benefit considerably from an amp too.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 19
+1 what he said, u can also try DT990, get an amp though aaquib bhai, will sound much better
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 19
If you enjoy over the ears that sound great, buy the Shure 440 for 100 bucks man. You can swap out the cord for a shorter one if you get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. If you liked the Beats look, I can't recommend anything else but the Shure 440 or 840...BECAUSE THEY LOOK INCREDIBLY SIMILAR
smily_headphones1.gif
but sound nicer. They are not as bass heavy as the Dre, but the sound MUCH!!!! BETTER!!! IMO anyway. No batteries either. IF you can bump up to a 200$ budget, get the Shure 840 and then start laughing at everyone else who buys the Sennheisers, ATs or Denons who try to go portable with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Shure really did something awesome with their 440 and 840. You can unplug the cord and replace it with whatever you want so long as you get the 2.5mm to whatever mm you want adapter. They just just like the Beats anyway hehe...and you dont REALLY NEED an amp, but of course it will make them sound that much better.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 19
How much were the beats? 300 dollars?
If you do wanna sell them, i think you can get like 200 bucks at least.

If you want senns, maybe pick up some IE8s?

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaquib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are remarkably balanced, with incredibly detailed bass.

lol no.
they are fun with rap/hip hop stuff though.

get the SRH440 for 100 bucks.

OR the Allesandro MS-1 if you don't mind an open design.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you enjoy over the ears that sound great, buy the Shure 440 for 100 bucks man. You can swap out the cord for a shorter one if you get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. If you liked the Beats look, I can't recommend anything else but the Shure 440 or 840...BECAUSE THEY LOOK INCREDIBLY SIMILAR
smily_headphones1.gif
but sound nicer. They are not as bass heavy as the Dre, but the sound MUCH!!!! BETTER!!! IMO anyway. No batteries either. IF you can bump up to a 200$ budget, get the Shure 840 and then start laughing at everyone else who buys the Sennheisers, ATs or Denons who try to go portable with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Shure really did something awesome with their 440 and 840. You can unplug the cord and replace it with whatever you want so long as you get the 2.5mm to whatever mm you want adapter. They just just like the Beats anyway hehe...and you dont REALLY NEED an amp, but of course it will make them sound that much better.

Why on earth are you recommending these if you haven't even heard them compared to other headphones? I've read your previous posts; you're asking other people to do impressions on them, or you are asking about wait times for ordering a pair. Two days ago you were asking about how the SRH840's/SRH440's sound compared to other headphones. Do you even own a pair? Please, for the sake of new members to this site, do not recommend products that you have not personally heard.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 19
I am just curious if you can read. It's pretty clear you can't. I've been inquiring about the Shure 840 and the Sennheiser HD 600. I've asked for the comparison between the 440 and the 840, and the 840 to the HD 600. I am not really sure why you would say something like that. I've used the 440, I've owned the es7s as well as the Beats. The 440s are better than the Es7s, and the es7s are better than the beats.

So basically what you are implying is that because I am asking questions about the upper models of the 840 and the Sennheiser HD 600...I know nothing about the 440s and shouldn't recommend them to someone who wants a good set of cans for a good price? The exit is this way ---> please use it

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just curious if you can read. It's pretty clear you can't. I've been inquiring about the Shure 840 and the Sennheiser HD 600. I've asked for the comparison between the 440 and the 840, and the 840 to the HD 600. I am not really sure why you would say something like that. I've used the 440, I've owned the es7s as well as the Beats. The 440s are better than the Es7s, and the es7s are better than the beats.

So basically what you are implying is that because I am asking questions about the upper models of the 840 and the Sennheiser HD 600...I know nothing about the 440s and shouldn't recommend them to someone who wants a good set of cans for a good price? The exit is this way ---> please use it

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized that another one of your posts was deleted

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, managing multiple accounts. It sure does get tricky doesn't it?

At any rate, you're recommending SRH840's when you haven't heard them, which is not a great idea. I'm not trying to cut people down, but am trying to limit the amount of false recommendations on the boards.

Two days ago in this thread, you spoke about wanting to buy the SRH440's. Apparently you were asking for a comparison between them and the ES7's.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/i-b...-440-a-439309/

It was in my opinion that you didn't purchase the headphones, since you were still talking about buying the SRH840's. By the way, your NLS thread in the High-end forum is causing people a lot of confusion. If you really do have the SRH440's, then I apologize.

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 19
Well, my music tastes lie solely in rap, so would the HD 650's compare overall? Would I be taking a hit in bass? Temporarily, I'd be using them attached to the M-Audio AV40's, until I find a desktop replacement amp. The Beats had nearly no benefit with my Total Bithead Amp which I've sold, but I'm aware that the HD 650's will.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 19
I listened to the Dre's briefly in Best Buy the other day; not just listening to the music but actually looking to see waht I could hear and compare to my Equation RP-21s. I was not impressed.
They had rap/rnb/rock songs to demo and I tried all three. The rock and rnb songs sounded ok but the rap just... lacked. Overall they all seemed to lack in the ... quality department. Maybe it was a bad encoding, or maybe it was a bad source.. I don't know.

What I do know is that the bass doesn't extend too low and the highs are non existant. Whatever, I'm glad I didn't buy them. But yea try out the Shure 840s.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 19
brand alliances suck, and so does sennheiser in this price range. Try something different... especially for the music you listen to. Maybe try an ultrasone or beyerdynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back