Oct 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ginko

New Head-Fier
Hello again fellas!

My IEM history is as follows:

V-Moda Vibes
Head Direct RE1
Denon AH-C551K

The Vibes got kinda tiring, and I barely use them anymore. The RE1 has too much treble and very little bass, which I didn't like. The Denon has good bass and everything, and I like it quite a bit, but I'd like to go one step above. Maybe 2. If I want, I can actually get a Triple.Fi 10 pro for half price, but I'm also considering my other options.

I want something like the Denon, with that much bass, but slightly more mids and highs. Any suggestion? Let's say my budget is around $200.

Thanks guys =)

Edit: I don't have an amp, so they'll either be feeding off of my speakers (Logitech Z-10), or the iPhone, or the Sansa Clip. Kinda want it to work with the iPhone (1st gen), but I guess I can get an adapter if I have to. Or should I start looking into investing an amp? The only reason I haven't bought an amp was because I'm saving up for a Claro Halo or a Claro Halo XT.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 10
UE super fi 5EB, Nuforce NE-6/7

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 10
According to the UE website, the Super.fi 5EB is more for house, and the pro is more for rock. Since I listen to a lot of rock, as opposed to anything else, shouldn't I be considering the pro?

And I can't seem to find the Nuforces on Amazon.

The genre that I listen to the most is classic rock from the 60s, if that helps.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm just going by the evidence of my ears, and the fact that you liked the 551 Denons, which sound very much like how I remember my Denons, but with much clearer mids.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 10
I bought a Fiio E5, and I could hear a distinct difference in the sound output. My test rig was nothing big - iPhone First Gen's Dock output to the E5 to the Denons. It was great! This might help me to hold off for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm going to put in a recommendation for the new model, Denon AH-C710. Do a search in the forums, and read up on them. I'm not sure if they're in stock anywhere at the moment, but once they're back in they can be had for ~$100 or less usually. And they're most definitely a sonic improvement over the C551's in all the ways you are seeking...

Good luck.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Those Denons look like, and the Phonaks. Thanks for the recommendation, guys! I will soon own a Kenwood MediaKeg MG-E504, and hopefully I'll get one that matches the sound output for that player.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 10
The Phonaks won't have anywhere near the bass of the Denons, since they're balanced armature and the Denons are dynamic driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back