Looking to upgrade DAC
Oct 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jona.p

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Am looking for some advice here. equipment is in my sig. It sounds great, but the digital department is lacking warmth imo (it's a bit bright now and then with some sibilance). The TT sounds great compared to the pro-ject or cd player, not too bright, very nice bass, midrange and decent imaging. So I am considering buying a new dac to which I can hook up my laptop and my old cd player (multiple inputs?). Prefer a tube dac, had my eye on the paradisea for a while now, looks good and some reviews seem promising. Hoping to add some warmth and body to the digital part of my system. Looking for some advice/thoughts.

Regards,
Jonatan

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 3
The LiTe DAC-AH is smooth and easy to listen to but lacks USB input, if you were looking for that. The Headroom has a couple MicroDACs that are commendable for being fun but not harsh. I don't like tubes in my DACs, you can add a tube preamp down the line if you feel the need for some tube rolling fun.

Edit: It seems there is now a NOS DAC with USB input too, called the Fathom.

Off topic: How good is the phono stage in the A3? I've been considering a MF amp (The new A1).

Links:
http://pacificvalve.us/DACS.html
DACs - HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 3
I'll look them up, thanks!

Quote:

Off topic: How good is the phono stage in the A3? I've been considering a MF amp (The new A1).

Compared to my previous amp the marantz PM7003 i'd say it's better, warmer, more musical and refined with my epos speakers, the marantz sounded thin and boring in comparison. I'd say it's fairly good for a built in phono stage. Listened to a pro-ject phono stage once, different amp and speakers, but, for what it's worth anyway, i'd say I like the phono stage in the mf better. Been a while though, so take that with a grain of salt ;p.

Regards,
Jonatan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back