Looking to step up my audio
Feb 9, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by owenhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the D5000's I listened to were powered by an iBasso D1, and while I'm sure more expensive desktop amps could do a better job they sounded pretty good to me. It's about $200 or you could pick up the D10 for about $250 which has a DAC too, though since you game I guess you'll be sticking to your sound card for EAX and stuff.

You should think about which you care about more, music or games, because an external dac will probably be an improvement over your sound card for music. A cost efficient compromise would be to get an X-Fi Forte or something similar, which I understand has a decent dac as well as an onboard amp which should do an ok job of driving something like the D2000's.

In terms of music I really have no idea how an iBasso D10 would compare to a Forte but the sound card would of course be much better for games.

You might wanna read up about these options as I can't give you a very good opinion since I haven't actually heard either of them.

Once again thanks for the help man and may I ask is it illogical to use a DAC/AMP combo even with my xtreme gamer? I dont need the beastiest of the beasty...I just want to try and get the best bang for your buck kind of thing. I was looking at the Maverick AMP/DAC combo but my friend reccomended the Mini3 portable amp.

And if it is a bad idea to use my soundcard with a DAC I would honestly have to say I care ENOUGH for games that I would like to try and keep my EAX.....But if there isn't much if a difference It would be a really tough choice for me ahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 word

S_T_A_X

Huh? I googled S_T_A_X and I didnt get anything...
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNikel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again thanks for the help man and may I ask is it illogical to use a DAC/AMP combo even with my xtreme gamer?

Your sound card will be bypassed by the DAC if you use the USB input, if your card has a digital output you could use that too but it really wouldn't make a difference. You can switch from the DAC back to your card when you play a game if you like, depends on how much of an inconvenience you think this is.

Quote:

I just want to try and get the best bang for your buck kind of thing.

If you don't want to keep your gaming and music separate the easiest solution would be to get something like a Forte, or some other Auzentech X-Fi card.

Otherwise you'll be switching back and forth between your dac and your current sound card.

Quote:

I was looking at the Maverick AMP/DAC combo but my friend reccomended the Mini3 portable amp.

Try a search of head-fi to find more info.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Your sound card will be bypassed by the DAC if you use the USB input, if your card has a digital output you could use that too but it really wouldn't make a difference. You can switch from the DAC back to your card when you play a game if you like, depends on how much of an inconvenience you think this is.

If you don't want to keep your gaming and music separate the easiest solution would be to get something like a Forte, or some other Auzentech X-Fi card.

Otherwise you'll be switching back and forth between your dac and your current sound card.

Try a search of head-fi to find more info.

Exactly what I needed to know! So really the DAC is basically a external Soundcard. Hmmm Ill have to think about this lol...I could always get a DAC later on if I feel the need I suppose. Well thanks a ton for all the help man.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Exactly what I needed to know! So really the DAC is basically a external Soundcard. Hmmm Ill have to think about this lol...I could always get a DAC later on if I feel the need I suppose. Well thanks a ton for all the help man.

No worries, hope you find something you'll be happy with but I think you'll like a Forte + D2000's. It might come out a bit above your $500 budget but it's probably the best value for your needs. From what I've heard the Forte's dac and amp are quite good and you can always get an external dac or amp later on.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

No worries, hope you find something you'll be happy with but I think you'll like a Forte + D2000's. It might come out a bit above your $500 budget but it's probably the best value for your needs. From what I've heard the Forte's dac and amp are quite good and you can always get an external dac or amp later on.

Alright Ill check it out, I think for right now Im going to try just an amp(Im liking this mini3 from what I read) and then buy the forte when I can save money(damn bills)..Also the layout of my board has my gpu cover the PCIx1 slot(still not sure what I can do).....Im pretty sure whoever made the 780i was on drugs ahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax

Thanks man....Those seem.....a little scary ahaha...I dont want my head to explode.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #22 of 27
I want to start off and say I am inexperienced like you crazy nikel, but I have been lurking and posting here for a few months and I already got my first headphones from these guys and was very satisfied. So with that being said, here it goes.

I think based on your description, you are kinda in the same boat as me. You want to take that next step in audio and want new headphones, but your gear is kinda crappy and you are unable to upgrade to anything really. If you were to just get a new pair headphones you would be happy and see a good increase in quality but would be missing out a ton. I think with your budget, you should start out by getting one of these Amp/DAC combos.

HiFiman EF2 tube amp
Maverick D1
Audio GD Compass

The compass is out of production and the only way to find one would be Ebay I think. The Maverick D1 and EF2 are both very well liked around here and are said to have good synergy with the senn HD600s. Bottomline, for price to performance ratio, most head-fis have said that these 3 are extremely good and well worth it for guys like you. Me personally? I'm going for the Maverick after doing my research.

As far as headphones go, I think the guys here have said you would be best off with going for the Denons. I haven't experienced them personally but most say they are good for guys like you. I would of personally tried to get the HD600s since they just seem to be really good for their price point and I hear a lot of good things about them.

I hope that helped you a bit but I would really recommend listening to some of these other guys who have experienced a good amount of these products. Also, search around the amplifier forums on head-fi and look at some threads that pertain to guys like you looking to take that next step in audio ^_^

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #23 of 27
edit: oops, repost.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to start off and say I am inexperienced like you crazy nikel, but I have been lurking and posting here for a few months and I already got my first headphones from these guys and was very satisfied. So with that being said, here it goes.

I think based on your description, you are kinda in the same boat as me. You want to take that next step in audio and want new headphones, but your gear is kinda crappy and you are unable to upgrade to anything really. If you were to just get a new pair headphones you would be happy and see a good increase in quality but would be missing out a ton. I think with your budget, you should start out by getting one of these Amp/DAC combos.

HiFiman EF2 tube amp
Maverick D1
Audio GD Compass

The compass is out of production and the only way to find one would be Ebay I think. The Maverick D1 and EF2 are both very well liked around here and are said to have good synergy with the senn HD600s. Bottomline, for price to performance ratio, most head-fis have said that these 3 are extremely good and well worth it for guys like you. Me personally? I'm going for the Maverick after doing my research.

As far as headphones go, I think the guys here have said you would be best off with going for the Denons. I haven't experienced them personally but most say they are good for guys like you. I would of personally tried to get the HD600s since they just seem to be really good for their price point and I hear a lot of good things about them.

I hope that helped you a bit but I would really recommend listening to some of these other guys who have experienced a good amount of these products. Also, search around the amplifier forums on head-fi and look at some threads that pertain to guys like you looking to take that next step in audio ^_^

Thanks for the post man! I appreciate any advice/info I can get.
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #25 of 27
Sorry for the double post but I figured I would go ahead and ask in this thread then make a whole new one.

I got a pretty good deal on a mini3, would that amp be ok to run either the 2000's or 5000's? I saw that the ibasso was a good match but couldnt find much on the mini3 with the 2 headphones of choice.

Your thoughts?

Edit: Second question(dont laugh) Im using my xtreme gamer obviously...and well...I just thought of this....what kind of cord would I need to connect my soundcard to the mini3?

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

what kind of cord would I need to connect my soundcard to the mini3?

Pretty sure like most portable amps it takes a 3.5mm stereo mini jack input. So a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I guess?

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Pretty sure like most portable amps it takes a 3.5mm stereo mini jack input. So a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I guess?

yeah I noticed that after I asked
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back