Looking to start upgrading! Please help this "noob"
Jan 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

e2pathos

Head-Fier
Hey everybody.

I have owned my ATH-M50's for a little over a year now and still love them to death.
I recently purchased Klipsch S4 IEM's and I also really really enjoy the sound that they produce.
As far as speakers go I have a set of KRK R8's which I also really enjoy (for production and listening as well).

I just got a new soundcard for my computer which has some really nice built in EQ options which increase the quality of all of these listening devices by a massive amount. That got me to thinking what if I had a pair of nicer cans, with a nice amp set-up and all that jazz, I could really be getting some superb quality sound (for my level of audiophile-ness at least.)

So I come to you, H-Fi geniuses, please can you recommend me a new set of cans preferably in the 200-400 price range ( I probably won't spend more than 400 unless it's like 425 and really worth the extra cash.) And then an Amp set-up preferably as cheap as possible to work well with whatever headphones you suggest. As I am planning to spend the most of my budget on the actual headphones as I figure more on headphones > more on amp set up.

I listen to a lot of different music but I'd say 75% of the time I listen to dubstep (not skrillex style bull, but like real dubstep mostly sub). I really like the sound of my S4's as they have a really deep bass with good punch and clarity but it doesn't mud up the mids or highs at all, especially with a nice foam tip seal. But I also listen to a lot of downtempo electronic music like meditation style with a lot of piano and strings with some nice sub bass in there as well. Then on the non-electronic side I listen to a pretty big spectrum, a lot of Beatles, Kid Cudi, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Death Cab, Bone Thugz, Queen, etc..... I think you get the idea.

So in summary I am looking for a new set of cans with an amp set up that mostly specializes in great sound for heavy bass electronic music, but also excels in keeping mids and highs crisp as I don't want to mud up all the other nice vocals and strings and piano in different types of music I like.

Hope I provided sufficient information, lemme know if there's anything else I need to include. Hope we can find a good set-up! Thanks

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 10
Also I forgot to include that if there are headphones out there in that price range that don't even need an amp set up, that would be ideal but I'm fairly sure that most cans in this price range are highly recommended with an amp. Just figured I'd throw that in there just in case! (and bump :p )

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Hello op, 
Which soundcard you own?  

Take a look at the Denon D2000's. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 10
My soundcard is the SB Audigy 2 ZS running through the drivers for it the Creative Audio Console (Where you pick the EQ's)

I have read some reviews on H-Fi about the D2000s and they seem very very worth the cost, I think that will be my number one choice for now unless somebody can recommend something better that's less expensive, but I am willing to spend that much if they are as good as I have read.

It seemed like most people said I probably need to amp them though, what amp set up would you guys recommend for these cans?

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
It seemed like most people said I probably need to amp them though, what amp set up would you guys recommend for these cans?

What's the budget?

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 10
Well since I'm already lookin to spend about 350 on the d2000s I probably wouldn't wanna spend more than 100-150 on the amp rig, unless it is absolutely necessary to spend more and would be the best bet in the long run (such as a set up that would work well with an even higher tier set of cans later in the future).

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
DT 770 80 ohm or Ultrasone Pro 900 both do bass well for their price.

One of those is like half the price of the others so that really doesn't help, I mean yes I want really nice bass but I don't mind spending up in that 300 dollar range like the D2000s for a great balance. Just can't lack bass whatsoever. From what I've read I really like what I see about the D2000s, just need to know about amping situations.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
My soundcard is the SB Audigy 2 ZS running through the drivers for it the Creative Audio Console (Where you pick the EQ's)

I have read some reviews on H-Fi about the D2000s and they seem very very worth the cost, I think that will be my number one choice for now unless somebody can recommend something better that's less expensive, but I am willing to spend that much if they are as good as I have read.

I highly suggest you to upgrade your soundcard before getting an upgraded headphone. I am currently using the xfi xtrememusic.  I have had the Audigy 2 ZS for about a week when I wanted to upgrade from a M-Audio revolution 5.1.  The audigy 2 ZS couldn't compare to the m-audio music wise so I later resold it on ebay.  Then came the xfi xtrememusic. This upgrade made a very big difference in sound quality vs the maudio.  It had better clarity and soundstage. At the time I was using a grado sr80 and computer speakers.  I know Asus makes some good soundcards too so you can look into that.

If you had to use the eq presets in order for your cans to sound good, that means the soundcard isnt good enough. I usually just keep the eq at Flat and tune the bass and treble to my liking. Currently I am using my newly purchased Creative Aurvana Live and the xtrememusic drives it nicely.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 10
I don't HAVE to use the EQ presets for them to sound good, I just like the boost they get from it. I listen to my m50s and S4s just though my ipod all the time with no EQ setting on and I'm perfectly content.

But the question wasn't about my soundcard I think I'm fine where I'm at right now, I really need to know amp situations for the D2000s as I am very interested in them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back