Looking to set up a portable rig
Sep 26, 2012 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Knightwolf15

Head-Fier
I've started importing my music in lossless format. I was thinking about an iPod classic and a fiio e11 but I'm open to any suggestions. My absolute price cap would be about $1000 USD including either a great pair of IEMs or just a good pair of full size (I don't care about looking silly with big cans on in public). I'm pretty much open to any and all suggestions. Are there any portable amp and Dacs that could run a Hifiman hd400 or Sennheiser hd650... or would I need to look at more portable headphones. I currently only have a Fiio E10 and a pair of Shure SRH840s. I'm really just looking at the best equipment possible for under a grand. Thanks in advance guys! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 22
The Alo Audio National seems to synergize well with the Hifiman HE-400. Total price would be just under $900 (depending on which LOD you choose). You could get all your equipment from the Alo Audio store.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 22
iPod classic is ok.
Headphone you'll need closed cans if you want to use them out in public. Otherwise its just a waste of money. Still, headphones will never offer the isolation, best are IEMs.
IMO you already have most of what's needed to have a decent setup. iPod Classic + E10 + Shure headphones. Try them out first.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 22
im also looking to build a portable rig, right now my source is ipod classic, amp is fiio e17, higher end headphone is my sony z1000 (rarely used at all actually), beater headphone is koss tbse1 (usually end up grabbing this instead for school since i tend to just toss my headphone around). while i feel my rig has somewhat decent sound, i really would like to upgrade. im going to save up for the fostex hpp1, maybe you also should look this direction? and then im going to get a modded fostex t50rp, maybe even 2, both mad dog and paradox. and then a tube amp, and then maybe a sennheiser hd800... but thats way too far into the future. primary target for me now is to take care of the fostex hpp1 first. should be getting it in christmas, cant wait... im getting sooooooo impatient!!!

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 22
Shure SE425 neutral with slightly forward mids, loved them

SE535 warmer sweeter with great soundstage, very forward mids.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
Or rather... any IEMs in general that are exceptional? lol

Shure SE535, 425 are pretty good.
Then there's Ultimate Ears, Westone, Sennheiser...there's a huge list of IEMs that you can find the IEMs section.
Some of them are beyond execeptional, the level of detail and the choice of sound balance (bass-heavy, bass-neutral, mid-forward, bright, warm)  is what I like most. You'll be able to find exactly what you want.

Another good aspect is that you don't need to spend oodles to get decent sound. IEMs hit their price limits much earlier than headphones,  furthermore, they remove the need for an amp.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
Shure SE535, 425 are pretty good.
Then there's Ultimate Ears, Westone, Sennheiser...there's a huge list of IEMs that you can find the IEMs section.
Some of them are beyond execeptional, the level of detail and the choice of sound balance (bass-heavy, bass-neutral, mid-forward, bright, warm)  is what I like most. You'll be able to find exactly what you want.

Another good aspect is that you don't need to spend oodles to get decent sound. IEMs hit their price limits much earlier than headphones,  furthermore, they remove the need for an amp.

what do you think is the price limit for iems? i stopped following iems and started using full sized headphones a while ago

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

what do you think is the price limit for iems? i stopped following iems and started using full sized headphones a while ago

Somewhere around $500. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Shure SE425 neutral with slightly forward mids, loved them
SE535 warmer sweeter with great soundstage, very forward mids.

I'm currently using the 425s, love them with my iPod.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
The Alo Audio National seems to synergize well with the Hifiman HE-400. Total price would be just under $900 (depending on which LOD you choose). You could get all your equipment from the Alo Audio store.

Here is the set up of Alo for He-400

Below is the link
http://www.aloaudio.com/jds-set-up

A little over budget but you can cut down on the cable I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back