looking to revamp rig
Nov 7, 2006 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mr_Penut

100+ Head-Fier
currently have transit>Pav2v> sr225 as my home setup, and I'm looking to add a new set of phones/amp to the set. I've don't need anything portable, as 90% of the time I just use my 1g shuffle> e4c's, and can use my 4g 20 gig with line out to the pav2v for longer trips.

My music choice is both broad, and very narrow. I do branch quite a bit through most genre's, but most of my music buying is in punk related artists. Phone's don't really matter here, as the recording is usually so bad that you can hear errors with ibuds
tongue.gif
. Otherwise, I listen to a fair mix of jazz, some classical (mostly guitar), and rock related stuff. Although I love the grado's, they ARE uncomfortable, and the price curve is rather uninviting to a college student.
redface.gif

I'm open to any suggestions, and I'd like to keep this (well) under a grand (and no multiple headphone suggestions please, I'd like something to cover everything, and I can use the 225 to fill in other holes).

also, what is the warm up time like on tube amps, as I don't have the time to wait for 30 minutes as my amp gets ready to play music
redface.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 18
i've recently been digging the AKG offerings - the k501 and soon-arriving k701. i added a new source and home amp to my setup (see sig) and they have complemented my grados very well...grados for the hard stuff, AKG for the jazz/classical stuff. for punk i might suggest solid-state, as it's usually faster and a bit more dynamic, IMO. the gs-1 i have is quite fantastic...the heed can amp looks to be a winner, as well as eddie current's new solid-state amp.

i really like the way the woo-audio WA6 looks if you want to get into tubes...for a thousand bucks you can get a really good amp or a good source and amp or a good amp and decent headphones (maybe the k701?)

you can listen to tubes right away, though they might not sound their best after a bit of warming...sorry for the rambling...my 2 cents.

Nov 7, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 18
A very good all-round combination is Sennheiser HD650/Musical Fidelity X-can V3. A great combination for jazz and very good for classical. If you find them too dark the HD600 might be an alternative option. This is IMO a great complement to a Grado setup.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm not looking for a set of cans that will 'force' me to switch halfway through a listening session. Also, because most of the rock I listen to is slow stuff (radiohead, mogwai), and I also listen to a lot of early 80's ska, instrument reproduction is key.

thanks for the help thus far.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 18
I'm gonna say HD595 yet again!
smily_headphones1.gif
Especially if you're coming from Grado, I think you'll find them not bright, and not as "dark" is the HD580/600/650. IMHO, they're the best all round phone for the genres you listed. Better then the 501s, cause the 501s don't have bass (really bad for guitar), and the 595s are much more intimate. They'd also go better with the Pav2v, since I've heard it's a bit warm colored....they're more versatile with tube amps then the 600 series (where on a really warm amp, they get really dark). If, however, you want more soundstage....then the HD580/600/650 Xcan3 is stellar by all accounts. The 580 is great with classical guitar. Don't know what kinda budget you're looking at....

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
smily_headphones1.gif
Especially if you're coming from Grado, I think you'll find them not bright, and not as "dark" is the HD580/600/650. IMHO, they're the best all round phone for the genres you listed. Better then the 501s, cause the 501s don't have bass (really bad for guitar), and the 595s are much more intimate. They'd also go better with the Pav2v, since I've heard it's a bit warm colored....they're more versatile with tube amps then the 600 series (where on a really warm amp, they get really dark). If, however, you want more soundstage....then the HD580/600/650 Xcan3 is stellar by all accounts. The 580 is great with classical guitar. Don't know what kinda budget you're looking at....

I'm willing to budget up to about a grand for the amp/phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
smily_headphones1.gif

i disagree about the k501 being bad for guitars b/c they have no bass...they actually sound fantastic with guitars. you lose some of the deeper bass, though. k701 will give a bit more bass and the soundstage is fantastic...some think it sounds a little too analytic, so it's up to you which kind of sound you want.

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 18
you know a really quick fix on comfort would be to get those used Headphile CPads in the sale forums right now, then pop an extra 20 for a DT770 headband pad direct from Beyer that will snap over your current SR225 band. bingo, instant comfort for under $100! plus, it will change the sound sig, maybe you'll like it, maybe not.

personally, i've heard that 80's ska, and you'll never really need to get a big beefy tube amp for that. plus, the transit is telling me that you probably use a laptop as a source? why not invest your remaining 900 bucks into a dac/amp combo, like the Headphile Desktop deal or an Apogee MiniDAC (comes with a very good integrated headphone amp for Grados and a USB dock). that should carry you as far as the Toasters and Specials are going to carry you soundwise for the rest of your life, i swear! then eventually you can upGrado into an MS-2i and pop your beyer band and cpads on there (see? transferrable! good use of cash!) and keep the comfort with an upgrade in sound! the Alessandro MS-2i is awesome with jangly strats and OD humbuckers and horn sections and IMPACTful snares!

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you know a really quick fix on comfort would be to get those used Headphile CPads in the sale forums right now, then pop an extra 20 for a DT770 headband pad direct from Beyer that will snap over your current SR225 band. bingo, instant comfort for under $100! plus, it will change the sound sig, maybe you'll like it, maybe not.

personally, i've heard that 80's ska, and you'll never really need to get a big beefy tube amp for that. plus, the transit is telling me that you probably use a laptop as a source? why not invest your remaining 900 bucks into a dac/amp combo, like the Headphile Desktop deal or an Apogee MiniDAC (comes with a very good integrated headphone amp for Grados and a USB dock). that should carry you as far as the Toasters and Specials are going to carry you soundwise for the rest of your life, i swear! then eventually you can upGrado into an MS-2i and pop your beyer band and cpads on there (see? transferrable! good use of cash!) and keep the comfort with an upgrade in sound! the Alessandro MS-2i is awesome with jangly strats and OD humbuckers and horn sections and IMPACTful snares!

the grado upgrade does seem like a nice idea, but in terms of the dac, I'd like to go analogue as soon as I have the space (aka out of the dorm room
tongue.gif
). Ska is much more accessible on vinyl
redface.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Hey Penut - make sure you reserve any decision making until AFTER the Toronto meet. I'll let you try out my Hornet (probably not a good amp option for your particular needs - cheaper home amps are out there) and DEFINITELY try out my K701. I find them absolutely awesome for Ska and Reggae/Rocksteady, be it from the old masters like Toots and the Maytals and Dessie Decker, to 80's revival all the way to newer acts like Hepcat and the Slackers. Very tight, very well reproduced.

To be honest though, I think you may want to consider some light comfort mods (as mentioned) for the Grados and drop the coin on the amp and interconnects - saves you buying a new headphone and you will be absolutely amazed at what the SR225 can do with a good amp.

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Hey Penut - make sure you reserve any decision making until AFTER the Toronto meet. I'll let you try out my Hornet (probably not a good amp option for your particular needs - cheaper home amps are out there) and DEFINITELY try out my K701. I find them absolutely awesome for Ska and Reggae/Rocksteady, be it from the old masters like Toots and the Maytals and Dessie Decker, to 80's revival all the way to newer acts like Hepcat and the Slackers. Very tight, very well reproduced.

To be honest though, I think you may want to consider some light comfort mods (as mentioned) for the Grados and drop the coin on the amp and interconnects - saves you buying a new headphone and you will be absolutely amazed at what the SR225 can do with a good amp.

yeah, I'll make sure to

btw, I'm buying my ticket to toronto later today
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 18
AH. VINYL.

Then look no further than a vintage Marantz receiver. you can pick one up for under 50 bucks if you are lucky, definitely under 100. their headphone out is more than decent, and the phono stage in there won't let you down. best thing is, it weighs a ton so no one will ever steal it! tuner is also great on it, and you can wire up the second channel for some subwoofing if you like. they have an AUX in that you can thread from your Transit, and you're done. in fact, sell your PAv2 for the cost of the Marantz, and you're set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back