Looking to retire my noble ATH M50s (Budget: ~$200)
Oct 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

copperdusk

Head-Fier
Hey all,

So I've had my M50s for about 5 years now and they've always treated me all. Unfortunately, they suffered a terrible accident at the hands of my roommate, and after a failed attempt to revive them I've determined that I should just let them die with honor. Goodnight sweet prince, may hosts of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Anyway, I've been out of the headphone game for quite some time unfortunately. I have been doing a bit of research though, and a couple models have caught my attention:

Ultrasone HFI-580
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic DT770 (If I feel like stretching my budget a little bit more)

Another recommendation I've come across is to get another set of M50s and pair them with a nice little amp (Likely a Fiio E07K or E10K, since I like the DAC/Amp combo) in order to reach their full potential. Since up until now I've only ever listened to them unamped from my PC or Sandisk Clip+ (My DAP was intended to be my next upgrade, but priorities are a thing. NO headphone = NO rock n roll). I mainly listen to a lot of electronica and prog rock with a little bit of blues, ska and rock mixed in. I also plan on using these for audio engineering and sound designing a theatrical setting, not really sure if that effects anything, but it's worth mentioning.

Hopefully that's enough info to get things rolling. I look forward to any suggestions or comments you guys have to offer.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hey all,

So I've had my M50s for about 5 years now and they've always treated me all. Unfortunately, they suffered a terrible accident at the hands of my roommate, and after a failed attempt to revive them I've determined that I should just let them die with honor. Goodnight sweet prince, may hosts of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Anyway, I've been out of the headphone game for quite some time unfortunately. I have been doing a bit of research though, and a couple models have caught my attention:

Ultrasone HFI-580
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic DT770 (If I feel like stretching my budget a little bit more)

Another recommendation I've come across is to get another set of M50s and pair them with a nice little amp (Likely a Fiio E07K or E10K, since I like the DAC/Amp combo) in order to reach their full potential. Since up until now I've only ever listened to them unamped from my PC or Sandisk Clip+ (My DAP was intended to be my next upgrade, but priorities are a thing. NO headphone = NO rock n roll). I mainly listen to a lot of electronica and prog rock with a little bit of blues, ska and rock mixed in. I also plan on using these for audio engineering and sound designing a theatrical setting, not really sure if that effects anything, but it's worth mentioning.

Hopefully that's enough info to get things rolling. I look forward to any suggestions or comments you guys have to offer.

You should also read about SoundMagic HP100/150

Best Luck!

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 5

Best Luck!

Agree'd!

I really like my HP 100 when I had it, I think for the money it's a STEAL, 

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 5

Best Luck!

I'm definitely digging the HP100s! Not only are the specs appealing, but they are absolutely gorgeous cans.

How necessary do you think it would be to get an amp? Most of the stuff I'm reading is saying that can be driven pretty easily, but it takes an amp to make them truly shine. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 5

I'm definitely digging the HP100s! Not only are the specs appealing, but they are absolutely gorgeous cans.

How necessary do you think it would be to get an amp? Most of the stuff I'm reading is saying that can be driven pretty easily, but it takes an amp to make them truly shine. 

Get like a Fiio E6 for $25 or so, or like a E11 for $50

but un amped they might not "wow" you but be simmilar to the M50 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back