Looking to replace my V-Moda Crossfade Wireless
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

k273

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
Andre here, from Indonesia. Been a long time reader of this forum for insight re. bass headphones/IEMs.
I consider myself a balanced basshead-audiophile, ie. I want as much accurate slam as possible but still separate from the detailed mids & highs; vocal & instruments play as it's intended to be, and without sibilants/screeches in the highs (which are painful to me).

I want a suggestion to replace my original V-Moda Crossfade Wireless that has been a 5-year company when commuting because their battery is failing.
First, I generally listen to liquid/melodic DnB (love Wilkinson and Pendulum), trap, reggae, female vocals (love Hindi Zahra, Alina Baraz, Marian Hill, and Oh Wonder), blues, and some rock.
My history of using ear/headphones since I understood the word 'audiophile' & 'basshead' is below:
  1. KOSS PortaPro: too neutral/balanced for me, and sound was 'everywhere'.
  2. Soundmagic PL (or E)-10: great IEMs. Punched way above its weight (ie. price). Tight/fast, sufficiently detailed bass, without sacrificing the mids/highs too much.
  3. Soundmagic PL (or E)-30: too neutral/balanced for me. Warm, nice, detailed, but lacked the bass I need.
  4. Original Sennheiser Momentum: too neutral/balanced for me. Build quality was nice, though.
  5. Sony XB450: disappointing. Bass (especially when the extrabass switch is on) sounded artificial and boomy and bled to mids. Details, mids, and highs lost a lot.
  6. A pair of blue SOL Republic IEMs with flat cables (forgot the name and I just realise that SOL Republic's website is already defunct): tight/fast, sufficiently detailed bass, without sacrificing the mids/highs too much. More expensive than Soundmagic PL/E-10; I'd take E-10 anytime if price were an issue.
  7. V-Moda Crossfade Wireless: tight/fast, detailed across FR. Build quality is decent (plasticky in places; sometimes you hear creaking when handling them). Original earcups were painful to my ears. Needed XL ones. The price range is sweet IIRC. I love these, but maybe I'm a little biased because they've been with me the longest compared to the others listed.
I also love Harman Kardon Omni series. Great bass and details across FR. All wireless/portable speakers are way behind; except for Harman Kardon Onyx series. Ultimate Ears Megaboom has a lot to be liked too, even if it can sound boomy.

I need a new headphones that really punch (can bring shivers is very welcome), but are still detailed throughout FR and clear throughout different basslines or instruments.
Is there a different pair of closed back headphones that is better than the Crossfade Wireless for me, considering all the data above? I want them to be my last in this search for the best bass headphones. Need to EQ is fine by me, but I'd rather not have to use an amp (or should I?)

In addition, I don't think I will ever gonna buy ZMFs, Fostex TH-x00 series, or the Denon x200 series, as they're very pricey and I am sure there will be diminishing returns along with higher price range. I do think portability also needs to be considered, so no Sony XB1000 or JVC HA-SZx000 series either...? (I listen to speakers at home.) I could be swayed onto buying IEMs/those 'truly wireless' earphones, if there's a pair that really worth it. Being wireless and having ANCs are also welcome.

Throughout the years, I could see that the recommended ones on the threads I read (other than the aforementioned ZMF, Fostex, Denon, Sony, and JVC) are: Audio-Technica ATH-M700Pro Mk2, E-MU Teak, Campfire Cascade, Ultrasone 900 Pro, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, and V-Modas (LP and M-100 variants) themselves; but don't let this limit your recommendations. (eg. is Yamaha HPH-Pro500 any good?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Sivga SV021, inexpensive, warm, good bass. Wired but easy to drive and fairly portable.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Hello everyone,
Andre here, from Indonesia. Been a long time reader of this forum for insight re. bass headphones/IEMs.
I consider myself a balanced basshead-audiophile, ie. I want as much accurate slam as possible but still separate from the detailed mids & highs; vocal & instruments play as it's intended to be, and without sibilants/screeches in the highs (which are painful to me).

I want a suggestion to replace my original V-Moda Crossfade M-100 Wireless that has been a 5-year company when commuting because their battery is failing.
First, I generally listen to liquid/melodic DnB (love Wilkinson and Pendulum), trap, reggae, female vocals (love Hindi Zahra, Alina Baraz, Marian Hill, and Oh Wonder), blues, and some rock.

I need a new headphones that really punches (can bring shivers is very welcome), but are still detailed throughout FR and clear throughout different basslines or instruments.
Is there a different pair of closed back headphones that is better than the Crossfade Wireless for me, considering all the data above? I want them to be my last in this search for the best bass headphones. Need to EQ is find by me, but I'd rather not have to use an amp (or should I?)

In addition, I don't think I will ever gonna buy ZMFs, Fostex TH-x00 series, or the Denon x200 series, as they're very pricey and I am sure there will be diminishing returns along with higher price range. I do think portability also needs to be considered, so no Sony XB1000 or JVC HA-SZx000 series either...? (I listen to speakers at home.) I could be swayed onto buying IEMs/those 'truly wireless' earphones, if there's a pair that really worth it. Being wireless and having ANCs are also welcome.

Thanks!
Any other suggestions?

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Some Ultrasone models, though the cheaper ones are made plasticy. Or the Denons or Emu Teak as you mentioned.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 11
I see, thanks.

Wow. It's hard to find Ultrasone (900) where I live...

There are other good ones, too--I owned the 880 and I would describe it as bass heavy and dark, sort of like a Denon D7200.

The 750 was more like some Beyers, very treble energetic.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Found Cascades and ATH Pro 700MkII online, but they seem too big to bring commuting...?
Also found a pair of Denon 5200s. Any comments? Should one skip 5200s for 7200s for bass? A testimony from a 5200s user also said that the build quality wasn't good.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Got to taste Campfire Audio Cascades.
Build quality is great
Bass is soooo fun <3
Better details and much better soundstaging than V-Moda Crossfade Wireless

As a basshead, my overall take: bass quality is better, but quantity-wise you don't get much more, even than Crossfade Wireless. As a bass quantity endgame you can't get much more even from Crossfade Wireless (except maybe if one could afford Fostex TH900 or Denon 9200 or Yamaha FZ2000???). With higher price you "only" got more bass quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back