Looking to replace e2c's, need advice (low budget)
Mar 28, 2008 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

koop

Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace my 2 year old Shure e2c's. They were decent for the time being but ide like to step it up a bit. I would like a fuller sound with a bit more bass. I primarily listen to indy rock but im all over the place... i jack of all trades iem would be nice. The problem is im looking for a replacement in relatively the same price range (80-150).

Ive been looking at the superfi3 and the Etymotic ER-6 to replace them with. Just curious if that is even worth the upgrade, would a similarly priced IEM sound much better than a pair of e2c's. I know the superfi5 pro gets a lot of praise on these boards, and if the difference is that great i may consider jumping in price to purchase those instead

Im also concerned about how much the IEMs are going to stick out of my ear, as i often lay against a pillow while listening to music. I don't mind the over the ear wire, in fact would almost prefer it. I find it helps me keep the IEMs from falling out of my ear while jumping around. Not necessary however, those triflang plugs seem like they would fit pretty snug.

Also, these are going to be used while going to the gym and skateboarding. I don't want to spend too much, as its possible they may get thrashed a bit. I'm also concerned about sweat, not sure how sealed these IEMs really are. Ive never had any problems with the e2c's in this regard so i doubt its an issue.

The source will most likely be a Sansa Clip or Sansa Fuze if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 11
My ER-6i almost disappear into my ears. The UE IEMs will stick out a bit more.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 11
ER-6i is very comfortable with the Shure black foam sleeves. Not so much with the default tri-flanges. Some people like them, but to me they feel like someone is trying to rape my eardrum. X_x

I've tested out the M-Audio IEMs (which are UE super-fi clones) and they are fairly comfortable, but I prefer the ER-6i with Shure foams.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 11
starting to second guess the etymotics, the cord looks really thin perhaps prone to ripping. Skateboarding could prove to be an issue with these but i dunno. ill check out those im716's, havent seem them before

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 11
new im716's are still ~50-55 from alternate sellers on amazon.
smily_headphones1.gif

the im616/716 are rebadged etymotics with different shells/bodies. they share the same sound signiture. the cables are also sturdier than the ones on the er6.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 11
i most likely wont be using foam tips for that reason. im a bit concerned that the im716s aren't over the ear wires, i don't want the impact of landing to break the seal. I know my e2cs stay in pretty good since the the ear takes a lot of the stress from impact instead of the iem.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 11
Good luck finding something more robust than e2c.

open sound and more bass sounds like the perfect candidate for the e2c kramer.

get a corkscrew (for opening wine bottles) and pop out the plastic circles that hold the wax gaurd in em.

it helps.

sorry about your wallet.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 11
Heh, I've fallen a sleep with Ety's so many times and woke up fearing they were ripped, but they never have (knock on wood).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back