Looking to replace 5.1 receiver with smaller stereo device for use with ATH-M50 headphones
Jan 29, 2014 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Tehzim

New Head-Fier
I am at a premium for space at the moment and I'm looking to downsize.  Currently I'm running a dvd player into a Sherwood 5.1 receiver I've had for years.  I don't have speakers hooked up anymore, just use the headphone out for a pair of ATH-M50 phones.  What I want to do is get something much smaller.  Right now that big receiver on my night table is a bit... ubiquitous.

The question is (and I've not really found a good answer):  How can I downsize and still get good quality sound?  Do I just need to get a portable CD player (I have a Nexus 7 for any digital files I may have) and a little headphone amp, or do I need an amp/dac?  Basically what I want is something like the Lepai 20 watt mini amp (http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390990369&sr=8-1&keywords=amplifier) but with a headphone jack.

Here are some more specific questions:

1.  Is there a headphone amp that would let me listen to a CD changer or DVD player as a stand-in for the A/V receiver (assuming analog (RCA) inputs)?

2.  Would I have comparable sound quality if I switched to a portable or small CD player and got a headphone amp like the little ones Fiio makes?

In closing the two things I want to stress are space is a premium (the flatter/smaller the better) and my outlying price would be about 140$.  Less is better.  Like I said I just want a small amp/pre-amp/receiver to listen to my opera on my headphones through my CD changer / DVD player.  If it has a line input for my Nexus, even better.

Thanks in advance.  Good to be on the forum.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Would something like this work?  http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTAU45-Stereo-Amplifier-Inputs/dp/B003OELGGG/ref=lp_537344_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1391006606&sr=1-5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back